• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Crockett & Jones Highland Boots?

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score
I am awaiting arrival of my second pair of Crockett & Jones boots purchased from the same gentleman. The first pair was the "Conniston" and fit me perfectly. He had a second pair that he wanted to sell me and after getting the Connistons was happy to oblige him. He called them Crockett & Jones Highland boots, but I cannot find any mention of such a boot made by CJ. It looks like the "Snowdon" to me, althugh it does not have a plain toe. Was their a vintage boot called the Highland or is that some sort of nickname for the Snowdon? This is the only photo I have, for now, until they arrive.

Groover

Reaction score
The pattern minus the faux cap is Snowdon alright.

I noticed a while back ebay seller sausages had the boot you picture there for sale.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ELITE-FORUM?_rdc=1

The only thing that might be different and it's difficult to tell in the photo, is that those look stormwelted whereas Snowdon is a Veldt

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score
I do apologize for the lousy photo. It is the only one the seller provided, but based on my experience with him when I purchased his Conniston boots in the same size, they turned out to be much better in person than his pictures, by far. He must have one really nasty camera! So, when they arrive and I can take better photos myself I will post them and then maybe I can get better answers. Of course, I will be able to read the writing on the interior then, too, and that might tell me what I want to know.

I only bought them because the Connistons are so comfortable that I pretty much wear them all the time. I wanted another pair of similar boots that I could trade off with so the Connistons can dry out properly after use. Today, for instance, I am wearing sandals since I am just staying in all day and letting the boots air out.

In any event, they have a few differences to them that make me believe they might be an older, discontinued boot model. We will see when they arrive. Thanks.

Groover

Reaction score
Looking at the writing inside, it's not very clear, but I suspect the left boot says:

J**** <- A set of numbers/letters. This will be C&J batch run/style number

The size looks like 9 1/2

The second row of writing.

I'd expect the first 3 numbers to read 228 which is the last, and incidentally the same last as Snowdon.

The words Veldt Boot, or what appear to be written inside.

A better picture would confirm. But if that information (in particular the second row) is as I suspect then this boot is a variant of Snowdon. Minus the faux cap the pattern, the last etc is all the same, even the pull tab on the back of the boot. The only major difference I can tell is Snowdon has 4 eyelets and 5 speed hooks

It's not unusual for manufacturers to have variants of styles, even with the slightest of changes.

The leather isn't Oak Wax hide, but given the intended use of this type of boot I'd expect the leather to be quite thick/heavy.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 14 3.9%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 62 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 119 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 64 17.8%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 26 7.2%