• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett&Jones Handgrade James Wholecut or Gaziano&Girling RTW Oxford in GG06 last

soto_nw

Reaction score
I know this is a somewhat silly question, but here it is.

Up to now my shoes consist of J Fitzpatrick, Cobbler Union, and Carmina. I'm thinking about making the jump up in price and trying to decide on where to do that first. I was originally going to go with G&G, however the Crockett&Jones Alex Wholecut has always been on my radar, and the fact that Crockett & Jones has elevated it to their handgrade line makes it super tempting (the 007 extras and shoe trees are nice, but I don't really care about them too much). Is there a large quality drop between Crockett & Jones handgrade line vs G&G?

I still plan on getting at least one pair of G&G in the future (likely about 3 overall), but am curious if I should start my transition by going with the Crockett&Jones James model?

I should add that my own fiancee's input on this is that I should go with James because we both have a slight preference for the James whole cut over the Sinatra from G&G (comes down to a very slight preference in toe shape). AND she made the argument that though the black cap toe oxford from G&G is nice and I would get a lot of wear out of it, the James would probably fit in better for our wedding/blacktie option, whenever covid allows - hopefully end of 2021 as originally planned (and she'd find it a hilarious inside joke that it's a "007 model").

Any thoughts? Things I should consider?

OH, and since I'm in California - does anyone have experience with import duties with either brand?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think general consensus would be G+G would be far above mainline C+J, but slightly above handgrade C+J.

As with all things, the improvement is marginal compared to price increase.

I also like the Alex and never pulled the trigger, but am tempted by the James.

As far as paying duty in CA. I'm in Los Angeles and this has been my experience. Above $800 usd I have been hit by DHL. Under is no problem. The James list is well above that, but if its available mail order and you have a no foreign transaction fee card and pay directly in GBP, once they lop off VAT it just might sneak under 800 usd, though maybe not.

soto_nw

Reaction score
I think general consensus would be G+G would be far above mainline C+J, but slightly above handgrade C+J.

As with all things, the improvement is marginal compared to price increase.

I also like the Alex and never pulled the trigger, but am tempted by the James.

As far as paying duty in CA. I'm in Los Angeles and this has been my experience. Above $800 usd I have been hit by DHL. Under is no problem. The James list is well above that, but if its available mail order and you have a no foreign transaction fee card and pay directly in GBP, once they lop off VAT it just might sneak under 800 usd, though maybe not.

I appreciate that response. So, it sounds like C&J Handgrade would be, roughly, in the same tier as Edward Green (EG) and G&G. Hmm....good data point/opinion for me to note.

I expect to pay import duties on both shoes, just wondering how much I'll get mugged for by DHL (or whatever delivery service is used).

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C&J hand grades are an excellent shoe and given the quality of the materials and construction, a real value.

I agree with the above, I think from quality perspective any benefit of G&G would be marginal. It comes down to how the last would fit.

I too saw the 007 whole cut. It’s a handsome shoe and were I in the market for a shoe like that, I’d definitely consider it. You figure the shoe trees alone are at least $100.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to know what you're gonna get hit with. I had an order from the Rake that included some hand patinated Tod's, total around 850. Got hit by DHL for around $50.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Northern California

I’ve purchased directly from EG without paying import duties.

Also, if you call the NYC store you can order the shoes from them over the phone (c&j doesn’t do e commerce).

soto_nw

Reaction score
I’ve purchased directly from EG without paying import duties.

Also, if you call the NYC store you can order the shoes from them over the phone (c&j doesn’t do e commerce).

Good to know, might ask if it's possible to order from their NYC store via their Instagram account. I know E&G includes import duties (I assume it's just priced into all their shoes), but doesn't seem like that's the case with other makers.

Thank you. You and @ValidusLA have me leaning to the James.

Figure, I want to have a few of the real high-end RTW shoes before I start saving for bespoke (so I can get a feel for how a very high-quality shoe feels, should help me better understand my own preferences and communicate them with a maker, whenever the day comes).

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure about the Instagram thing. Honestly, outside of checking out J Lo’s ass every time something pops up on my newsfeed I don’t know a thing about Instagram.

Just call the NYC store and they’ll ship it the same day.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I woukd suggest contacting [email protected] , care of Ms Pernilla Searle.

You can place orders direct there and pay online. You will save a pretty penny.

Example: take the Aintree III. List price US $850.
Mailorder price 585 GBP. Less VAT = GBP 487.40. Thats $626 USD. SIGNIFICANT savings even after paying shipping.

Prices are controlled for US market. End around by going mail order.

I paid less that 500 GPB for some hand grade Grosevenor few months back

soto_nw

Reaction score
I woukd suggest contacting [email protected] , care of Ms Pernilla Searle.

You can place orders direct there and pay online. You will save a pretty penny.

Example: take the Aintree III. List price US $850.
Mailorder price 585 GBP. Less VAT = GBP 487.40. Thats $626 USD. SIGNIFICANT savings even after paying shipping.

Prices are controlled for US market. End around by going mail order.

I paid less that 500 GPB for some hand grade Grosevenor few months back

Wow that is a savings. I think I'll do that when the time comes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads