Crockett & jones hand grade shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by A Harris, Jan 10, 2003.

1. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Do any of you own Crockett & Jones Hand-Grade shoes? If so do they have a covered sole (where the sole is covered by a thin sheet of leather so you can't see the welt stitching) like Lobb and Edward Green? The new Ralph Lauren Blue Label shoes are made by Crockett & Jones and they have the covered sole. Also I was looking at some C&J's on a French website and they too had the covered sole. I was wondering if these models are both examples of the hand-grade line or if they are perhaps a bit nicer still.

2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Crockett and Jones' handgrade range has "channelled" soles, where the stitching is not visible from the underside. The other method is called "stitched aloft", there you see the stitching in a grove. C & J's ordinary ranges are stitched aloft. The channelled sole is the sign of a top class shoe and manufacturers like C & J, Tricker's and Alfred Sargent (but not Church's) use it in their top ranges. With wear there will be little difference, as the thin covering ( which is not a separate sheet, but a slit - a section is folded back, stitched and then turned back again) but will wear off first and the stitching becomes exposed.

3. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

I forgot: Grenson as well does a channelled sole on their "Masterpieces".

4. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Now that is really interesting. I never would have guessed that they just peeled back the edge and then glued it back down. Some of my older shoes have the edges peeling so I just assumed it was a sheet. Thanks for that info.