• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren - which last?

Morgan

Reaction score

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's a great looking chukka. These names are really confusing and contradictory, but I'm 99% sure that the Darlton and Marlow are on the same last, and that that last is the 325, and that these boots are on that last. Are they McCallums perchance?

Gem-bean

Reaction score
They are the McCallums. Made by CJ on the 325 last (like the Chepstow). They are sold in the US as a D fitting...at least mine were. I have the CJ Grasmere (also made on the 325 last) in an English 9.5 E and the McCallum in a US 10D and the McCallum is a much narrower fit.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure those are McCallums. And I really really want them and I'm really annoyed that sausages' starting bids are outrageously high.

Morgan

Reaction score
Thanks guys. On a side note, I passed on a pair of Marlow plain-toe bluchers during the most recent sale because I thought the last looked to narrow at the toe. Of course I'd never seen the Darltons in person, only online, so my comparison was probably not the most reliable.

Grimslade, the starting bids are high, but given the quality of the boot are they a ripoff? I know they're hardly a steal at $650, but they are cigar shell cordovan by C&J. Would someone paying that amount at least be getting their money's worth?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan
Thanks guys. On a side note, I passed on a pair of Marlow plain-toe bluchers during the most recent sale because I thought the last looked to narrow at the toe. Of course I'd never seen the Darltons in person, only online, so my comparison was probably not the most reliable.

Grimslade, the starting bids are high, but given the quality of the boot are they a ripoff? I know they're hardly a steal at $650, but they are cigar shell cordovan by C&J. Would someone paying that amount at least be getting their money's worth?

That was what they cost at retail as recently as a couple of years ago. That said, they've become harder to find and I believe the retail was up to $895 last time I checked (and I think GVH was claiming $995). So the price not bad compared to the current retail price. Probably not cheap enough to get me off the fence, but YMMV. They're nicer than the Alden chukkas, which go for about $600, IIRC. Rider Boot is offering cordovan chukkas for $750, I believe.

They are also the unofficial SF chukka boot--but you don't want to know the sale price that induced that feeding frenzy. They are on the same last as the Marlows, I'm pretty sure.

txeconomist

Reaction score
I have the McCallum in a 10D and are bit on the large side for me. I want to buy the plain toe blucher, so should I go down a size? Basically in short, will the blucher fit nearly identical to the chukka?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads