• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

lukas957

Reaction score
does anyone know what these are?

Those seem to be the successor to the C&J line for RL but say "made in spain" and are not available in shell.

Anyone got experience?

1599718050061.png

Attachments

• 1599717984200.png
    1599717984200.png
    376.3 KB · Views: 154

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does anyone know what these are?

Those seem to be the successor to the C&J line for RL but say "made in spain" and are not available in shell.

Anyone got experience?

View attachment 1455665

Under most circumstances, with a bit of research you can find the same shoe from the same brand that makes them for RL minus the premium.

These don't look like anything special. I’d guess Carmina but that’s just a guess.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought Carmina typically has closed channel sole, though made in Spain could be a lot of choice (and won't be surprised if there are some guy out there who only does private label)

lukas957

Reaction score
anybody knows anything about those new tassel loafers - clearly not CC nor Shell but they seem to be the new purple label offering.
1604488373584.png

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
made in italy is like infinite possibility, though my random first guess, Silvano Sassetti just because they have used them in RLPL prior?

edit: another random guess would be Paolo Scafora, not because it looks like PS, but just because it's one of the more visible higher end italian one that does private label...

p.s. this is the PS version, less "front", at least in this angle

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s Sassetti. I discussed this with an SA at RL in Chicago. They also do made to order.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
think he meant CJ? I had Sassetti for BG (the lower tier price line, not the equivalent to RLPL one), they have hold up well

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to know. If I see an attractive pair during their next sale I’ll consider it.

lukas957

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help and tips.

after having studied this thread for several weeks and realising RL are not selling marlows any more (see my posts above) I have asked C&J to make the RL marlow tassel loafers

(apologies at this point I had not realised that I could have got a discount if I had found more people to order shoe)

It took a couple of months but I picked them up today.

A couple of early observations:
- I own three pairs of C&J Cavendish: - one is suede with single leather sole (pictured to the left) / a black calf with a "city" rubber sole /a black calf with a single leather sole (all of them fit perfect)

- The new "marlows" feel much wider on the heal : not sure if this because this is a double leather sole or the shell cordovan is so much softer that it feels loose (or because of the heel stitching?)

- The gentleman in the store offered a tongue pad and I will try to stretch them with the C&J shoe trees after each time breaking them in to see if the leather takes better shape of the foot but so far I am a bit irritated because it just looks funny (and not like my other pairs of Cavendish). Thinking about it I had never bothered to try on the stock pair of Burgundy Cordovans that they usually carry in the stores to compare the fit to calf and suede.

- the colour looks amazing and stitching on the heel look amazing.

- I really like the look of the double leather sole and does not feel too stiff (for now)

1604498901823.png
1604498925446.png

Attachments

• 1604498170226.jpeg
    1604498170226.jpeg
    365.7 KB · Views: 23

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
are you sure it's heel too wide? or it's slipping because it hasn't break in (i.e. still "one piece") so the back isn't moving with you when you walk (i.e. center hasn't flexed)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads