Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Oct 1, 2011.

1. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

looks burgundyish. awesome nonetheless. as an aside, I kinda wish i kept my tassel loafer. would have been great for summer. might be a none issue if we have another mild summer in Cali

Last edited: May 14, 2012

2. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

Thanks NAMOR! I've read so much on these I am numb. I am normal US 9.5 and like the fit for me on the PTB and Wingtip at 9. The loafers are all over the board, my 9 Penny is too tight but hoping it will stretch out (pretty much only the left shoe so I will suffer with more break-in instead of having them too loose overall), and the Tassel I've read sizes out a half larger so go down to 8.5? How did you shake out on the others. Still an awesome shoes at $505.

3. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

Beautiful boot man... Too bad they are not making it anymore. Saw the Trickers but these are the shiiitz...

4. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Gah I can't wait for my Marlow WTs to get here. I had to exchange and it's taking forever!

5. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Why do you keep doing this to me, man? [​IMG]

By the way, do you have any problems with the eyelets going up all the way or would you have preferred speed hooks?

Last edited: May 14, 2012

6. Gerry Nelson

Might be the early morning lighting. Very definitely brown.

7. razl

razl Senior member

From a fellow Lindrick's owner who has other boots with speed hooks - skip them if you're going to wear them with dress trousers. They tend to catch and rip all of my hems at some point, I even had one time where my cuff got into an altercation with one.

They're cool for casual and work fine when paired with more rugged materials - denim, cavalry twill, etc. - but not with dress pants.

Last edited: May 15, 2012

8. Gerry Nelson

Thanks, razl. I just ordered a pair of wingtip shell boots which don't have the speed hooks and this makes me feel like I did the right thing.

9. mackmittonz

mackmittonz Well-Known Member

Is anyone who missed out on the Marlow wingtips (I have both size 7.5 and size 8) interested in buying them from me before I send them back? Nothing wrong with the shoes except I just didn't like them as much as I thought they would. $536 plus shipping takes it. Not posting this in B&S because I'm not looking to make any money on them. Just trying to get what I paid for plus shipping. Any fees need to be covered by the buyer.

10. LeJouvre

LeJouvre Senior member

Florida, USA ; New zealand; Hong Kong; Singapore
    If you had a 9.5 I would be all over you.

11. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

i regret not buying those boots. damn.

12. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

I have a question for those who bought the Marlow wingtips. When you first bought them, did you experience a fair amount of heel slippage or not really? Everyone on this board says it is too be expected from a double-leather soled shoe. I am just dubious as I bought an Alden 990 (barrie last) in an 11D and experienced heel slippage that really never went away. I bought the marlows in an 11D and it seems some say this shoe is true to size and others say it runs 1/2 size large like the barrie. It is already a pretty snug fit in the toe box. The fit seemed very good at first (it was even hard to get my foot into the shoe). It is admittedly better than my others (11D barrie and 11E Macneil), but I am worried it will not improve. Can anyone who has achieved (in their opinion) a good heel fit weigh in on this?

13. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

I have a similar fit, snug but not too snug, in both PTB's and Wingtip Marlow. The Wings have a fair amount of heel slippage right now as they haven't been broken in yet, just a spin around the house. The PTB's are now broken in with zero heel slippage after maybe 7 wears. Now the Penny Marlow is giving me hell as it is shorter than the PTB and Wingtip in the same size. Either they are marked wrong size; or just a bitch to break in, I am very tight in this shoe size 9. The Tassel I went down to 8.5 to eliminate slippage as this one fits me longer as I have narrow feet and slid down that longer toe. Hope this helps man...

14. LeJouvre

LeJouvre Senior member

Florida, USA ; New zealand; Hong Kong; Singapore
    Yup, you are experiencing the "warning: fits 1/2 size too big" discovery which should come with every pair of Marlows.

If you are a size 11D Barrie though, I would have thought you would be the same in the Marlow.

I am usually a size 10 in most shoes, but a size 9.5 in the Barrie last. The 9.5 Marlows are a tad loose, but the 9 are a little tight, so I normally buy the too tight and break them in. That way they fit like gloves after the blisters are all gone. Nothing worse than heel slippage. Toe space I can live with, but heel slippage is a real PITA.

15. Master Milano

Master Milano Senior member

How does crockett and jones for RL compare to the normal C&J? Also how does it compare to edward green and such?

Thanks for the reply :)