Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Marlows were never supposed to be on sale at all, but some orders got through

2. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

They were certainly included in the pre-sale link.

3. triumphman

triumphman Senior member

Alcibiades...question...

My wt marlows are pretty tight (like you describe it, unbearably) I sized down 1/2 and went w/ the same size as my barrie/trubalance last. I remember my trubalance cordo's being pretty tight at first, and molded better after many wears.

WT marlows feel more tighter than my previous cordo (indy) purchase. Based on your experience, you think I purchased the correct size, and will mold to my feet w/ comfort?

These are beautiful shoes btw...

4. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Doesn't directly answer your question - because I don't have the wingtips... but my PTBs have stretched a little, I particularly feel the difference in the instep and outstep of the shoe. My tassels are pretty much brand new, but after wearing them around the house for a total of a few hours, they too are loosening up.

On a related note: yesterday was the first wearing (post-break in) of my Marlow tassels...
    [​IMG]

Edit: the picture was taken just after dawn, so the lighting is weird. They really are the medium / dark brown Marlow shell color...

Last edited: May 4, 2012

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Based on my experience, yes

My RL marlows started out tighter than any barrie/trubalance shoe I have... But now, the shoes fit comfortably (they are still more snug than my barrie shoes, but they fit great)

6. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Couldn't you just flip the ones that you don't want on here. I'm sure that would be beneficial to both parties, no?

7. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

Currently have PTB's in 9. Penny in 9 (tough one to break in, they had me initially concerned but finally after a couple wearings they are loosening up, they hurt my heel to a blister, but, having had cordovan Alden loafers and Bro Bro Cordovan Tassels of many years; I know they do open up quite a bit over the years so I figure best to get a snug fit in the loafers. Every Bro Bro I've had, I wished two years down the road I went 1/2 smaller as they get sloppy with time. Today I received the Marlow Wingtips 9, perfect fit, and the Marlow Tassel ( for some reason I had to go down another 1/2 on this model to 8.5) intitialy they are a tiny bit snug, but not as snug as the Pennys. I think they will be perfect. I've waited a while to score these on this promotion, saved $700 on waiting so totally worth it. I've read a lot on sizing in this thread and just wanted to add my 2 cents. Wingtip is the best fit, Penny the worst, the Tassel will be my favorite in the long run though because of it's versatility. The PTB is a drop dead good looking plain toe blutcher. Good weekend to All...

8. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

I am just glad that I picked up a pair of Marlow at the last 40+15 sales and avoid the current confusion.

9. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

No I couldn't since they aren't on sale now so only flipping would help if buyer wants to pay retail lol. If I buy them now it's just to try on for sizing purposes and return the ones that don't work.

Just tried on the size 8 ptb and 8.5 wt and both fit well but of course they didn't have the other sizes for me to make sure lol ... Gtown :(

To note I took 8.5 lindricks and 8.5 penny and 8.5 tassels and I wear 8.5 Barrie/trubalance. The lindricks fit well but penny's and tassels I have heal slip but only slight

10. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

during the November sale I was trying so hard to find a pair in 10.5D penny loafer but all the ones I found have some heavy scratch and dents on them so I ended up returning all of them. I also missed the offer by one of the SFer in January for $299 a pair and now I am banging my head because it will probably never go below $400 again.....:fu:

11. randomkoreandude

yeah when i was in the gtown store the associate was arguing with me about the pricing. he claimed that they NEVER EVER EVER go on sale and that corporate tells all the retail stores never to honor any discounts on anythign cordovan

i was like yeah thats funny since i bought the pennys and the tassels for 350ish and i got the lindricks on sale too. he couldnt believe it and argued with me for awhile saying it was a mistake

edit: so yeah if it really was a mistake and a 1 time crazy sale, they may never ever put them on sale at least not that low ever again. maybe the 500ish level is the new norm :(

12. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

13. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

The store AE's are often not that knowledgeable about special pre sales... educate and be kind... you'll likely get what your looking for. They are, or should be, glad for the sale, if not, I say move on...

14. randomkoreandude

i agree 100%. i already own the shoes so i wasnt trying to get them on discount on that price. i was only commenting to him how i missed the sale at 505 last week and he was like they were never on sale cuz they never go on sale. i corrected him and he got butt hurt when i told him not only were they on sale last week online but they were even cheaper last fall

he didnt believe me. i now am on a mission to bring print out of my receipt history and make one clueless RL more knowledgeable a year/month

15. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

That applies to calf leather - cordovan just needs a good vigorous brushing. I suppose the application to the soles is a good idea for any leather soled shoes, though.