Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Oct 1, 2011.

1. stevent

stevent Senior member

I've exchanged stuff without receipt before, but that was a few years ago so not sure how they would work. You could always just order and then return and say wrong size as well I guess. Ralph Lauren is big enough that I wouldn't have any issues doing something like this

2. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Last edited: May 3, 2012

3. LeJouvre

LeJouvre Senior member

Florida, USA ; New zealand; Hong Kong; Singapore
    Hey guys, you're not going to believe this, check out this e-mail response to my query to RL.

My begging and grovelling e-mail ends like this :- "..... in conclusion I feel that the C & J Cordovan items which I reserved yesterday at the discounted price should be honored today, as your Sales Assistant, Cindy, advised me it would be through to May 7th..."

the e-mail response:-

Dear xxxxxxxx

We appreciate your patience as we researched your inquiry regarding the manufacturer of the Marlow Wingtip Shoe and the Macon Calf Boot. We have confirmed that the Marlow Wingtip Shoe and the Macon Calf Boot are not manufactured by Crockett Jones.
    We apologize; however, due to the extensive variety of men's shoes we are unable to provide the specific manufacturer information. Additionally, size 9.5E is currentlyonly available at RalphLauren New York's Madison branch, and an order can not be processed for them at this time.
    If you need additional assistance, please contact us via email or phone at 1-888-475-7674. Our Customer Assistance Representatives are available from 9:00 am to 12:00 midnight Eastern Time, Monday through Friday, and 10:00 am to 10:00 pm Eastern Time, Saturday and Sunday. We look forward to providing you with the legendary service you have come to expect at RalphLauren.com.
    Sincerely,

Alisha H.

So there you have it folks, no discount, and the worst news is that C&J do not manufacture the Marlow!!! Either that or Ralph Lauren have learnt how to tell really big and naughty furbies

Wow!! Who'd have thunk!

I am going to e-mail her and ask why it says "Crockett and Jones for Ralph Lauren" in the shoe liner?

4. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Brooks Brothers also tells you that Alden does not make their cordovan shoes (they do) if you ask them. I think both RL and BB must have some sort of agreement not to say who makes them or something. Either that or they just don't inform their customer service people. Sorta stupid.

5. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

I am not too sure of her response. Kinda sounds not too official... more like how do I get this guy's issue off my desk! Regardless, the Marlow Wingtip is a fine shoe for $505 on sale or $850 full retail. Looks to be better to me than say Alden or AE.

6. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

and here ya go

"We apologize; however, due to the extensive variety of men's shoes we are unable to provide the specific manufacturer information."

7. LeJouvre

LeJouvre Senior member

My response, but I think defeat is already a reality for me here folks, what do you think?:-

"Dear Alisha,

Thank you for your response.

It is confusing to learn that these shoes are not manufactured by Crockett & Jones, particularly if one considers the peculiar words “Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren” printed in the liner of these shoes.

I wonder, are we referring to the correct products in this inquiry?

Also, the Sales Assistant I spoke with yesterday distinctly advised that size “E” was available, but only in New York.

In response to my inquiry Cindy advised that the shoes were made in England, that the sizing may be British and that, consequently, she preferred to postpone the sale until she could clarify the sizing for certain.

Cindy went on to confirm that her records showed no size 10E, but that a number of size 9.5 E were on record as being held in stock in New York.

Cindy also reassured me that I could safely postpone the purchase until the outcome of her investigation without fear of losing the discount since the discount would be honored through to May 7th.

Most perplexing.

Perhaps you could double check, just to make absolutely certain.

Regards

xxxxxxxxx "

8. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

imo, RL (others as well) is kinda hush bush about this primarily due to branding and marketing. But based on my conversation with SA/Manager @ the stores, they are indeed from C&J...not too many customers ask these questions unless of course SF members :)

9. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

She gave you the store that has them. You should give them a call directly and see if they'll help you out. You often get different answers depending on whom you speak to, so it's worth a shot.

10. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

Interesting, from the past emails that I sent to customer service, they told me that E witdh is available only for EU market.

Anyone see the penny in E width in USA stores?

11. ebw1

ebw1 Senior member

[As others have noted, definitely call, talk someone in person, and ask nicely. 95% of the time this works.]

If you push them, they will honor the price. Mention that you relied on their representation that they would honor the sales price through the 7th. If you have any record of that, make sure to give it to them. If you don't, they might drag their feet, but will give in at some point. From what you've said, they are likely legally obligated to honor it, and if the CSR you are talking to doesn't know that, the manager likely will.

If, for some bizarre reason, they just flat out refuse, threaten to haul them into small claims court (if you're in the US). They are never going to let it get that far and will just honor the sales price, but if it did, you'd have no problem prevailing. Most people aren't aware that small claims courts are typically a pretty effective way to get redress if a company is up to shady stuff, like telling you one thing and doing another. It gets messier if there are contracts involved, but in these sorts of situations it's really a simple process, and generally never even gets very far because the corporation 1) while perhaps staffed by idiots, isn't run by idiots, 2) has lawyers.

12. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Stop relying on e-mail and just call. Sheesh. Talking to someone in person and being nice goes a long way.

13. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

i hope it doesn't go this far....as mentioned by others, just call the store and ask "nicely" about the discounts/sale and work with them..Good Luck

14. ebw1

ebw1 Senior member

Definitely - this should always be the first resort! I should have emphasized this in my post above.

15. LeJouvre

LeJouvre Senior member

Nah,

I am just having a little fun. I am happy with Ralph Lauren, they are great, but it does not hurt to put a little gentle pressure on the online store staff to keep them on their feet. Customer service is what costs all of us poor consumers the extra cash and the online sales staff get away with a lot because they never have to actually face the client.

I don't mind shelling out full price. I already bought a pair of the Macon boots at $1500.00 from NY (they had a size "E") and the SA at Madison ave was really annoyed with the e-mail I received. He is going to arrange for the discount anyway and it is he who actually wants to complain about the attitude of the e-mail to me.

It is no big sweat, just sharpening my consumer claws a little.