Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Oct 1, 2011.

1. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

LOL @ the "problems" we have. I hear you on the Marlow / Lindrick soles though - they use weird leather IMO - softer and more porus than AE and Alden sole leather.

I am fortunate in that I park in a garage, in the basement of my building at work. So, I go from garage (at home) to garage (at work) and the only time mine see weather is potentially at lunch. Also, Ohio is only too hot for cordovan boots about 4 months of the year IMO.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012

2. Storm33

Storm33 Senior member

I bought a pair of Marlow PTBs on eBay about a year ago, and they came with sole guards installed. The left shoe developed a squeak to the point that I couldn't wear them because it was so annoying. I pulled the sole guards off last weekend, thinking they were the problem, and noticed what appears to be a rubber "plug" in the sole of the squeaky shoe. It still squeaks when I walk in them.

I'm going to send them to Nick V. for resoling, and I'm wondering whether to get Dainite soles installed or have him replace the double leather. Any opinions? FWIW, these have been serving as my "poor weather" brown casuals; hence the thought of Dainite.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012

3. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

What about heel taps, guys?

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

I had plastic heel taps installed on all my leather soled shoes. When I first began wearing shoes after college, I had a horrible habit of unevenly wearing down the outer heel. Apparently I was putting too much pressure on a small area of the heel. Uneven wear isnt so much a problem for me anymore. in the two years since, whenever I wear a non-leather soled shoe with either dainite or commando, ive noticed an even gradual wear.

Still, I have plastic taps installed on the heels.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

5. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Plastic on the heels and metal/rubber taps on the toes then! The two Marlows arrived yesterday but I'm not wearing them until I get this done. I'm planning to put the taps on the rest of my shoes as well.

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

I feel your pain. I have a pair of C&J belgraves i need to get "heel'd" Would have loved to wear them to an interview I had earlier today

7. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

which plastic are you talking about, son? afaik, the marlow has a comibination heel, so you don't have to do anything. the plastic ones are a big no no. douchbag territory. stay away. the toe taps are essential. good luck.

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

I always get a kick out of how you get your ideas across

9. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

i didn't see that before. as i said. only when you have the chance to get flush installed ones. the nailed on plastic are not only cheap. they will kill your gait in no time, imo.

10. pikachoo

pikachoo Senior member

guys how does the Lindrick fit compared to aldens? I wear a 9.5D in barrie and 10D in grant, what size would I need?

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Lindricks run 1/2 size large. I take a 11.5 in both Barrie and lindrick. I'm a tts 12

12. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Agreed with heel taps. Tried them on... removed within 24 hours.

13. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

well, there are heel taps and heel taps. when done right, it's a great thing.

14. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

PTB today. (and just to segue from the previous conversation, no taps for me).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012

15. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

Hi all! Just got some new PTB's in 9. I normally wear 9.5 in most RL Italian shoes and went down 1/2 for these. They fit me perfectly. I then went into RL and tried on the Tassel Marlow in 9 and it was simply too large, tons of slippage. I had them order me the shoe in 8.5 hoping these will work when they arrive at the store. Two questions? 1) What size should I consider for the Marlow Penny? as I've not tried this shoe on yet and don't know what last is used.... 2) What is the full name for the Saphire Revo and where do I buy it, I'd like to use it instead of #8 cordovan, this shoes are more brownish.
    BTW I have lousy feet from years of running abuse and need double soled shoes... these Marlows are a very nice wearing shoe for me:). And now an obsession ...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012