• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

has anyone tried using wax or polish to darken a two-tone cordovan shoe? my lindricks are slightly lighter in the vamp

Besides the peeling insole, my lindricks have 2 very different vamps. My left side is lighter in color and glows after a buffing. My right boot has a much darker shade on the vamp and a very dry, dull look to it. I've tried reno and different saphir polishes to even out the colors and get them to shine up. Not much success in either issue. I'm sure over a few years they will look completely different from what they look like now so I've given up trying to make them match.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol yeah figures. ... its not a huge deal since my discoloration is fairly limited and not that noticeable. not as bad as other pics ive seen from others on here. but yea i wouldnt give these boots up anyway so ill just deal :)

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My right boot has a much darker shade on the vamp and a very dry, dull look to it.

At least you have one shoe that glows...

I've got a pair of Lindricks and Marlow loafers. None glowed even after lots of and lots of shine effort. Just recently (at about 20 layers) -one- of my marlows is exhibiting some good looking light gloss (which I'm now not sure I want on my loafer :facepalm:) while my lindricks, at about a dozen plus layers, are only now showing even a rudminetary shine (which I do want to sparkle a bit!).

As noted by some others previously, this is in comparison to my Alden shell which shine up great with only 5 or 8 layers. By comparison, these C&J babies take a lot more elbow grease.

ps - I've recently switched from saphir cream to the wax and see much better results on the C&J. I've even taken to my top layers (and going forward) being totally neutral wax to try and get some shine without any color muting. Still not good enough for glamor shots, but getting there :slayer:

Last edited:

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yay! You still have them loafers?

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I notice now that all the C&J cordovan shoes listed on UK site are US E width, see here:
http://www.ralphlauren.co.uk/produc...471&prodFindSrc=prodCrossSell&refProd=4529021
Good to know.

I have contacted Customer Service and this is the response:

"We are contacting you regarding your enquiry to confirm the different between the fits offered on our RalphLauren.com and RalphLauren.co.uk websites. Our handsome Marlow Penny Loafer # 4078471 is offered in a US E fitting on RalphLauren.co.uk which is a different size compared to the D fitting offered on our US website.
A US9E is therefore wider than a US9 D, and our London Bond Street store have confirmed that they offer E fits in Men’s footwear.

All our websites have US sizes, however in footwear we may choose to offer a different fit compared to what they sell in the US. This is possible as we make footwear in more that one fit."

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have contacted Customer Service and this is the response:
"We are contacting you regarding your enquiry to confirm the different between the fits offered on our RalphLauren.com and RalphLauren.co.uk websites. Our handsome Marlow Penny Loafer # 4078471 is offered in a US E fitting on RalphLauren.co.uk which is a different size compared to the D fitting offered on our US website.
A US9E is therefore wider than a US9 D, and our London Bond Street store have confirmed that they offer E fits in Men’s footwear.
All our websites have US sizes, however in footwear we may choose to offer a different fit compared to what they sell in the US. This is possible as we make footwear in more that one fit."

Egads, I may have to start buying from the UK site. This would probably allow me to size down in the tassels.

Edit - looks like they don't ship to the US.

Last edited:

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my PTBs today, courtesy of forex. Sadly, they are a half a size too big for me. I have the wingtips in 10.5 and got the same size in the PTBs.

Anyone interested in a NIB PTBs in 10.5, PM me

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge, both are on the same last, 325

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads