• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Funny you should say that - I've never been good at shining but as part of stepping up my shoe game with a new pair of Lindricks and Marlows, I also committed to improving my shine. As part of that process, I figured part of my lackluster results was probably materials - so I ditched all my kiwi crap and bought a bunch of Saphir.
Unfortunately, all I've gotten with my Lindricks + Saphir Reno and Cream is mostly matte. Nice color, but little to no shine. I was perplexed - with better products and diligent study, I really thought I was doing better but getting worse results. I took a stab at my Alden shell boots and found that I can definitely get a better shine than I used to, so I am improving but it seems my Lindricks just aren't responding to the regimen.
Note that since I was only initially interested in a mild, not mirror, shine, my first big round of Saphir products was all Pommadier Creams. They did exactly what I would expect on the Aldens but not on the Lindricks. I've already taken the plunge and bought a smaller shipment of additional Saphirs that are Pâte de Luxe Wax which should shine better. I'm hoping the Lindricks are more receptive to that.
Switching products to get the results sounds like a crutch to me, but I really didn't have any other explanation (other than I'm still a rookie and goofing it up...)

There are a lot of advantages to the Marlows/Darltons over Aldens, but ease of shine is not one of them. Maybe because Alden uses more dye to produce their cordovan colors? Looking at Namor's pics from a few pages ago, it is possible to get a good glow working on the Marlows, but it is definitely easier to get a comparable glow from similar Aldens. Over time Marlows may require a more frequent use of renovateur and paste wax.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Funny you should say that - I've never been good at shining but as part of stepping up my shoe game with a new pair of Lindricks and Marlows, I also committed to improving my shine. As part of that process, I figured part of my lackluster results was probably materials - so I ditched all my kiwi crap and bought a bunch of Saphir.
Unfortunately, all I've gotten with my Lindricks + Saphir Reno and Cream is mostly matte. Nice color, but little to no shine. I was perplexed - with better products and diligent study, I really thought I was doing better but getting worse results. I took a stab at my Alden shell boots and found that I can definitely get a better shine than I used to, so I am improving but it seems my Lindricks just aren't responding to the regimen.
Note that since I was only initially interested in a mild, not mirror, shine, my first big round of Saphir products was all Pommadier Creams. They did exactly what I would expect on the Aldens but not on the Lindricks. I've already taken the plunge and bought a smaller shipment of additional Saphirs that are Pâte de Luxe Wax which should shine better. I'm hoping the Lindricks are more receptive to that.
Switching products to get the results sounds like a crutch to me, but I really didn't have any other explanation (other than I'm still a rookie and goofing it up...)

Let me know how that works out.

Has anyone ever had this problem? When I first wore my darltons, they were extremely comfortable. Once the creases settled in, the crease on my left foot (and a tiny bit on my right, but its hardly noticeabale) started pressing down and rubbing against my foot so that I had a huge blister on my foot by the end of the day. I don't think I sized these incorrectly, especially because they were comfortable right out of the box.
Does this eventually settle down and soften up, or is there something I can do to try and remedy this?

I had this exact problem, then it got better after 2 more wears. Don't wear them right away again, you will need some time for the blister to heal first.

mcbrown

Reaction score

Any one here with some trouble shining up the lindricks? I've tried buffing and Saphir Reno and more buffing, but they just won't get that nice glow. It's a cinch on my Alden Cigars, but it's just not working on these babies. I'm hesitant to use polish, but I just may have to try a bit. Any other suggestions?

Yes, I would say that my lone pair of Alden Cigars (and all my non-cigar Aldens, for that matter) shine up better and more easily than both my Darltons and Lindricks. On all of my shell shoes I use nothing but a horsehair brush before and after each wear, and Saphir Reno every once in a while.

The question of which is "better" is a matter of taste. I prefer the well-conditioned but slightly dull look the C&J RLs develop from this procedure over the shine it gives Aldens, though both are okay.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
an absolute bitchin' pair of wingtips:

Last edited:

The7Ups

Reaction score
Quote:
Sweet indeed, similar to the regular C&J pembroke in tan

Either way, great shoe.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure which forum would be an appropriate place to say this, so apologies in advance. I have a pair of the Marlow PTB and Lindricks both in size 10.5D. I have tried to secure a pair of the Lindricks in 10D to no avail. If anyone is interested in either pair, feel free to shoot me a PM and I could provide pictures. I do not intend to put it up in B&S, as I'll send it back within the next few days if there is no interest. I'm not a fan on Interest checks in B&S which is why I felt this thread was more appropriate. Thank you.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
alright folks, I have my 10.5D penny loafer for sale $400 shipped. this is the last call, I will be returning them tomorrow! Let me know by 3pm tomorrow the latest.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smokin' deal alas I am broke ... CJ loafers in calf cost 400 these days

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is not a perfect pair so i m willing to let it go for $400 shipped.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm not sure which forum would be an appropriate place to say this, so apologies in advance. I have a pair of the Marlow PTB and Lindricks both in size 10.5D. I have tried to secure a pair of the Lindricks in 10D to no avail. If anyone is interested in either pair, feel free to shoot me a PM and I could provide pictures. I do not intend to put it up in B&S, as I'll send it back within the next few days if there is no interest. I'm not a fan on Interest checks in B&S which is why I felt this thread was more appropriate. Thank you.

You could probably make some dough on the bay with either, especially the Lindys. Just saying.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You could probably make some dough on the bay with either, especially the Lindys. Just saying.

Spoo, thanks for the suggestion, but given the high fees of selling on ebay (~12%) plus other fees, I'd rather not go about with the hassle. I was hoping to secure a pair in 10D, but it seems like the company is completely out of stock. I'm not really looking to make money on there, just to recoup my cost. As for the PTBs, I was hoping to swap them for a pair of the Wingtips in 10D, but they said it was too far out from the sale to honor it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads