1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Oct 1, 2011.

1. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

yo! i was told to fill in the dry areas with shoe cream. and instead of brushing i find that buffing with a cloth gives the shell a shine without any danger of scratching. some of the CJ for RL shell is so dry that horsehair brush scratches the affected area even more

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  2. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Thanks, they are slightly lighter and redder than my Cigars. This was direct from box.

3. 90shilling

90shilling Senior member

Marlow MLK Monday

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Looking terrific in your Marlows. Hope that you had a good MLK day!

5. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

Cool, thanks..my shoes are just blooming everywhere

6. nycs10011

nycs10011 Member

I picked up a pair of Marlows online, new and in the box. They have some pretty noticeable difference in color in the leather particularly between the vamp and toe cap. This wasn't what I was expecting and may send them back and try and fine some with uniform color, but I'm still mulling it over. What do you guys think, do you care for the different shades? They're more appealing than some other pairs I've seen because the color difference matches up nicely on both shoes so they match.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Variation of shell is what makes it so special. Mine were pretty even when I got them but now the vamp area is starting to lighten up in one shoe (which I love). I think the other shoe is catching up. This is one of my old shots:

[​IMG]

8. irbe

irbe Senior member

Having a hard time tracking down a 7.5 and just called NYC RL store since they had only one. Apparently its only used for displace purposes which they don't even have access to. When asked if they will be getting any in, he informed me of the shell shortage rumour

9. katch

katch Senior member

Quote:I personally like them. The discoloration gives them character. If it really bothers you you can see if RL will swap it, or ask for a discount.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  10. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

11. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

They look fine to me. I like the variation on a pair of Marlow, just adds more to the look, as others have said. Mine look a bit different also, and to be honest it's the shots people have posted here of their high contrast, sun-faded Marlow that convinced me to finally buy a pair! But that's just me, if it is something you don't feel comfortable with then send them back.

12. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

This is a beautiful pair. The "discoloration" is perhaps one of the most wonderful things about shell cordovan. No 2 pairs are alike in that regard. Your pair you have there looks noticeably different than mine and vice versa.

I actually hope that mine one day look like yours. [​IMG]

Enjoy them and wear in good health my friend. [​IMG]

13. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

Beautiful shoes, love the colour variation! I need to find a size 8!

14. nycs10011

nycs10011 Member

Not making it easy for me to send these back... now where do I find a belt to match?

15. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Don't do it! They will eventually have some variation in color anyway. If the color variation bothers you that much, you should probably avoid shell makeups with multiple pieces as they frequently patina a little differently.

It is a beautiful shoe!

16. Mutombo

Mutombo Senior member

My Skye 2's and Cardigan 4's both have variation between the panels, but C&J does a good job of matching up the color variation between pairs. I personally like the look and think it gives the shoes more character. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

If you want a cordovan belt to match those beauties you better get your wallet out.....I think AE will make you one on request.

Otherwise, this is the one I wear with my dark brown cordovans, AE, C&J and Alden:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/76744?feat=502855-GN2&page=chino-belt

Not the flashiest or nicest, but rugged as all get out!

18. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

19. jim0068

jim0068 Member

Is the marlow last 321 or 348? Thanks.

20. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member