1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Oct 1, 2011.

1. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

They are the Frankenmonks. The prices of those got ridiculously low on the website a while back - it seemed no one liked them very much.

2. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

My Lindricks were looking and feeling dry so I decided to hit them with some plain old Lexol conditioner this morning before wearing them. The boots quickly sopped up the first coat and I did a second. Hydrated them better than anything I have used on cordovan to this point. Ended up conditioning my AE Dundees the same way. After letting them dry and brushing them they still gave a healthy cordovan glow.

I am starting to think the "only use paste wax" along with brushing and buffing recommendation is geared toward Alden and the special finish they seem to apply to their shell. Both my AE shell and the Lindricks have had dry areas that really benefit from occasional conditioning.

So far for me based on my limited testing Lexol>Sapir Cordovan Cream>VSC>Reno. Though I will admit that a higher shine can be produced by everything besides the Lexol. I might add a layer of cordovan cream to add a little protection and shine.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Looking good will need to get some lexol myself. Any industry size containers of lexol available online?

4. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I bought my 1L container from a local horse supply shop. Ebay seems to have them for around $15 though.

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Cool thanks. Me yesterday:

[​IMG]

6. stevent

stevent Senior member

My lindricks yesterday:
    [​IMG]

And got the liters from Walmart think they were $12

1 person likes this.
  7. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Is this the one: http://www.lexol.com/Product_leather_conditioner.aspx

8. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

9. meowmix1891

meowmix1891 Senior member

Are you supposed to use that stuff generously? Or a very thin coat like you would do with cordovan creams?

10. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Big impact ... congratulations.

11. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I've never really seen too many people mention it at all so I have no clue what would be recommended. I used as much as I thought my boots needed by my own discretion, for me it was two decent coats of the conditioner before I felt they where hydrated.

12. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I have had great results with lexol conditioner on both my Marlows and Lindricks; the dryness is close to non-existent, they are noticeably softer, and they have gained an amazing depth and shade. I use it quite generously, but you will notice when the leather is sufficiently moisturized.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  13. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Thanks!

3 Liter Lexol

14. Jinxh

Jinxh New Member

Hey guys, I was wondering since a good number of you guys own both a pair of 975s and marlow wingtips, which do you prefer if price is the same. On ebay, brand new marlows and 975s cost roughly the same. So with price being equal, which do you prefer? I know this is an RL CJ forum but I really want to hear your unbiased thoughts. Excuse me but I will be cross posting this in the Alden thread as well. BTW I already own some Lindricks.

15. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

For me it's tough as I have both and like both. I wear with different outfits. Both are dark brown/ cigar shell

16. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

^ If I could only pick one...Marlow all the way, but it really does depend on your own fit and style (and you already have the Lindrick).

17. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

18. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Tough call but I'd give the edge to the 975s. (I own both). Aldens have a a much easier break in. Aldens may be more versatile too. I have no problems wearing the marlows with a suit, but with jeans I'm a little hesitant. 975s can go with dress trou (suit) as well as jeans easy. Shortwings seem to be more refined than longwings. Hence, more for dress wear.

19. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  20. jeffd

jeffd Senior member

Wing tips, I assume? I'm looking for a pair of PTB's in an 8 or 8.5, if anyone has them.