1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Oct 1, 2011.

1. LittleViti

LittleViti Senior member

Well thank you for at least appeasing that worry of mine--I also missed the MTO/web gem Cappuccino and Walnut stock from AE unfortunately--good advice on the C&J/RL regard. I currently have 11D Marlow WT seconds which I got for a steal about 2 weeks before the infamous sale. So I'd be interested in adding 11D Marlow pennies--if anyone has a pair, since those seem to be less available on eBay/SF right now.

2. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

What are WT seconds?

On your earlier question, I have several brown AE shell shoes and just recently acquired a pair of Marlows thanks to that sale. AE seems to be lighter in color to the Marlows (at least initially). Marlow is far better in terms of initial comfort/fit finish. AE just has a basic leather insole and the cork filling (some guys go for that, though). Marlows have the padded heel as well as an interior shank. Looks like they have a higher quality interior leather lining. AE makes a fine shoe, but C&J Marlows and Aldens are ahead of them, IMO.

3. rc121

rc121 Senior member

I'm guess he means Marlow wingtip second, didn't know you could get C&J seconds beyond the factory.

4. LittleViti

LittleViti Senior member

I may not be up on the lingo-- I did mean C&J for RL Marlow wingtip seconds, but not factory "irregulars" like the Alden TSM list, I meant second-hand/pre-worn/used shoes. I guess I'll update my vernacular.

And @coolarrow - thanks for the assessment.

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

received the rigid slim fit. "made in usa of woven japanese.." i was holding my breath hoping for that fuzzy hand. sure enought it was there:slayer:

6. LittleViti

LittleViti Senior member

What do Marlow wearers recommend for edge dressing? Brand? Color? Use, if at all?

7. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

I use fiebings in brown.

8. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

All mine are AE travel but do dar have used only the natural on mine

9. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Actually AE does not have a huge surplus of Shell Cordovan and they have the lowest stock of Shells right now than they have had in Paul Grangaard's recollection. That is from a recent conversation that I have had with Paul.

10. LittleViti

LittleViti Senior member

Well, the way you guys advertise for Shell Cordovan here on SF it's no surprise. The AE MTO thread is enough to close Paul's whole operation down for a few years.

11. movoblast

movoblast Senior member

The cynic in me tells me that there may really be a shortage, but not nearly as bad as they are leading us to think. By telling one person, who he knows posts regularly on this forum, Mr. Grangard may be raising demand for the material. The shortage on rare shell turned out in Alden's favor because the demand for those rare shells is just ridiculous.

12. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

I hear what you say and believe Paul but they still have enough to allow just about any style MTO with brown shell

13. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Agree, for now they do. Not sure if Shell production doesn't ramp up more if they may have issues in the future.

-M

14. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

We need to get the French eating more horsies!

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^ I'm always checking out a horse ass imagining what id do with dat shell

[​IMG]

16. iDoc

iDoc Senior member

Looking for help with Marlow wingtip sizing. For reference, I've got the Gianni boot in size 8.5D, and I'm an 8.5D in Alden Barrie. Marlow 8.5D or 9D?

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  17. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

I'm an 8.5 in the Barrie, and I take an 8.5 in the Marlow wingtip. However, some people would be up 1/2 size and wear a 9.

18. iDoc

iDoc Senior member

Therein lies the rub. Probably best to have my local SA bring in both sizes...

19. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

20. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

RL must be getting annoyed at the bum rush of calls due to the leaked discount.. had an odd convo with them tonight about doing an even exchange (size wise) for my Marlows.. CSR called me out on using the discount, then pulled the expedited exchange option from me and told me I needed to go through the standard exchange channel (not a big deal, but also not what I was quoted immed after receiving my marlows 2 days after the coupon dropped)