Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Oct 1, 2011.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Marlow pennies today, freshly Mac methoded

Socks: Pentharella
    Pants: PRL

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

no difference between polo vs ralph lauren however the stamp is a good indicator when your shoes were made. Ralph Lauren branded shoes are made within 3 years, Polo before that. I happen to be wearing my Polo Marlow wingtips today:

[​IMG]

3. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

^ those need some mac love

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

takes too much time and this isnt Alden shell we are talking about. C&J scuffs after making contact with just about anything. its far too labor intensive for these pussy hands

5. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

Can you detail this method? I struggle to get much of a shine at all from brushing. If I do it doesn't last more than one wearing before they develop a very matte finish.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

both look nice, guys.

NAMOR, deets on the chinos?

7. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

8. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

For me it's Mac Method with the substitution of Saphir Cordovan Creme in neutral instead of Reno. The neatsfoot oil in the cordovan creme seems to have a longer lasting effect of moisturizing and has some wax in it to help cheat on the shine. I generally wipe down with a damp cloth and brush and add the cordovan creme a couple of times a year.

9. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

NAMOR, I had to really look at your brogans more closely since I couldn't discern anything other than a very nice pair of wingtips. Your straight leg chinos with the blue socks makes for a great combo, consider it stolen.

10. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

In deference to NAMORS delicate condition I find that the key ingredient for getting a good shine on my Marlows is elbow grease and time. There are a lot of resources for shining shell cordovan on the web, Uncle Macs being the best. He says the idea is to never use polish on shell at all. Here's what I do to kill time. Go to the linen closet and get one of your wife's, mothers, or girlfriends best wash cloths, all cotton, no polyester. Wet the cloth, I like to use warm water, then ring it out leaving it just a little damp. Take the laces out of your shoes, of course, and then wipe them down thouroghly, just like you do the quarter panels on your Porsche. I let mine sit for a few minutes, just about the amount of time it takes to get a beverage or libation, some people prefer a single-malt scotch. Get a good sized horse hair brush with stiff bristles and just go crazy. Buff with a soft cloth. Follow these steps and when they pick you up for drunk driving your shoes will look beautiful.

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

thanks guys. unlike the polo marlows, most of my shoes are kept in tip-top condition and are brushed before every wear. yes my marlows are scratched and scuffed, and dry as hell but I like how they can look after just a single wear. imagine just how disgusting they would look after a handful of wears without any care. i reckon some would even confuse me for a homeless. thats why youll never see me drinking coffee while wearing C&J for RL/Polo shell cordovan wingtips

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

thank you sir, thank you. those are Banana Republic socks

instiches - the chinos are gilded age. we same size too :smarmy:

13. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

gimee now !

14. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I got a pair of those gilded age chinos for uber cheap during a Mr Porter sale.
    Something about whatever was done to distress them seemed to have also eaten away at the thread.
    The crotch seam blew out the second time I put them on. The thread was incredibly weak. I managed to beg my wife to fix it.
    They're not tight at all.

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

holy smokes z, we might be related. i too bought my pair from Mr.P for cheap, I too blew out the crotch but i was a tubby at the time, and I too begged a female - only this time I had to ask the lady and her two other friends not to point and laugh. it already difficult talking to people at bars without them focusing on your insecurities.

i would also like them more with a higher rise. other than that a great pant for the money.

stich, look at all the fun yourre missing out on