• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

dusttruffle

Reaction score
Dusttruffle, I personally prefer the look of the Harlech over that of the Alden plaza cap toe. A wingtip Alden boot in any color besides #8 and black is something you have to be on the lookout for with credit card ready to pounce. The Skye 2 and the Lindrick boots are both very well made. I believe "James Bond" aka Daniel Craig wears the Skye 2, and everyone who has a pair seems to like the Lindricks. Pick the ones that fit the best over the ones you like the best. If they happen to be the same boot you've got a weener.

Thanks for the great advice BeSpiff - i am leaning heavily (and hoping for a great fit) towards the Skye 2.

Regarding the Lindricks (and other Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren) sizing, I thought it would be worthwhile to post this response I got from C & J to the thread when I asked for some information on size conversion between US Ralph Lauren and UK Crockett and Jones sizing. I seem to remember this being posted in one of the C & J threads but so that sake of peoples googling it cant not help to post it again.

Q : How does the Ralph Lauren US size convert to the Crocket and Jones UK size?

A (from Crockett and Jones) :

Quote: If you are size US 7 D, you will be a UK 6 to 6 1/2 E in our own shop (If the width increases by 1 stop (D to E), the size decreases by up to 1 whole size (1/2 for the width and 1/2 for the US-UK sizing)). We focus mainly on E width on our store so this conversion might be more useful.

What members of the forum need to remember is that the fitting of a shoe ultimately comes down to how your foot fits a particular last shape, and the only way you will find out if a pair fits properly is by trying the shoes on first hand.

We manufacture shoe for a number of 'own label brands' some of which have their own lasts. (shoes made by C&J without the C&J logo stamp)

You CAN compare fittings across UK and US on the same last branded C&J, but you CANNOT compare fitting across UK and US on different lasts and in all honesty, I think this is what some members of the forum are trying to do.

We cannot release last measurements for obvious reason, but not even this would give you an accurate fitting detail because feet are not flat.

Speculation and discussion from forum posts can become confusing so if you have a question about a C&J product like fitting, we would recommend speaking to one of our retail assistants who are regularly fitting customers with feet of varying shape/sizes

We are sorry that there are no hard and fast rules for fitting.

It seems that if you *really want* an accurate conversion to a fit in C&J UK sizing you are going to have to go with the US E width from RL.

Last edited:

The7Ups

Reaction score
Quote:
Love these Namor and nice combo. Will have to get a pair before C&J replaces brown version with blue shell ;-)

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NAMOR's, stevent's and hoit's Marlowe's, that is how well worn shoes should like ... Bravo

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

stitch you got some marlows?!?!?!

:nodding:

stitch congrats on the marlow purchase! I love mine. They look much lighter in sunlight

thanks!

i am very excited about these. they will fill a very important role in my rotation.

About 4 year old pair versus brand new pair.

very cool, thanks. good aging, but man i want to get mine to look like countingsheeps. gaaaaaah.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sick. white grapes?

speaking of which ive yet to visit napa this year and im just 75 min away. ooof

Last edited:

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mostly white. I'm studying for a semester in a little village close to the Rhein; I have consumed more wine the last month than I thought was humanly possible.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
awesome man. i took a wine making course at university taught by an imposing wall of a german woman. i think every time our study group of 3 studied, we polished off at least a bottle. didnt have any lindrick back then though :)

Last edited:

CEE88

Reaction score
My first pair of C&Js arrived this afternoon. Gave them a quick wipe down and six minutes of brushing for each shoe:

aldenfan

Reaction score
Wearing the Lindrick today. CJ for RL shell is as dry as Hillary's ****** on William's birthday

NAMOR, what do you do to remedy this? I did the following on my Marlows: brush, wipe with damp rag, apply shapir reno, wait 30 min, brush with horsehair brush, buff with soft cotton rag. Mine look a little less dry and brittle now. They still look really dry to me though. Not much of a glow. Should this be repeated? Or should I only use reno occasionally?

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My first pair of C&Js arrived this afternoon. Gave them a quick wipe down and six minutes of brushing for each shoe:

An outstanding acquisition CEE. The RL PTB's are one of my favorite shell cordovan shoes. Did you get a good deal, because they look to be in good condition? Wear them in good health my friend. ps. colored laces can really set these babies off nicely.

CEE88

Reaction score
Thanks! They're size 11 and feel like they're almost exactly midway between a 10D and 10.5D Barrie last PTB.

The heels have almost no wear and the soles look great. I feel very good about them - much better than paying $650 for resale Aldens in cigar or ravello. That whole situation got me looking in a new direction for "brown" shoes.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great looking PTBs CEE!! Congrats on a great find; enjoy often and in great health my friend!

Countingsheep

Reaction score

NECRO QUESTION!!!!

was this a natural aging or did you have to polish it to get this beautiful lighter color? if so, what polish did you use.

the ones i tried on at the RL store looked like this.

Haven't been in here for quite a while.

To be honest, I'd tend to believe that it is in fact florecent lighting that "fades" the color on these shoes. I'm no expert but mine were almost surely a "floor" model (bought on fleaBay) and I think they must have spent a good part of their early life under store lights. I do like it but I'd hate to say sunlight does the trick and have someone ruin a beautiful pair of shoes unknowingly.

Maybe someone wants to take a photo of your shoes in an exact location (and time of day/lighting), then leave them out as long as possible between wearings at say, your office, under florecent lighting and then take another photo to match the first. Maybe settle it once and for all. I can't help as mine are already so light

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads