1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Oct 1, 2011.

1. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

For various reasons (mostly fit) I have decided to finally part with my 3 pairs of RL cordovan shoes--wingtips, PTB and penny loafer--all in 10D. I have the wings on the bay right now for anyone who is interested.

they are such great looking shoes but I'm tired of trying to make a D width work with my B width feet.:violin:

2. jimanchower

jimanchower Senior member

Saw those earlier today on http://putthison.com/

3. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Yikes, last night I was brushing my new Lindricks (only worn 3 times around the office and house) and on the vamp of the right shoe where a roll is forming I noticed what looked to be rough bumps come out and what seemed to be the finish coming off. It looked oddly similar to what a few people posted about rough/dry cordovan. I think I saw some Gianni and Marlow pics in here that were similar to what I experienced last night.

I did not stop to take a pic but I treated with some Reno (currently waiting on Saphir cordovan cream) and gently brushed then wiped them down, it looks better but I will have to keep an eye on it. Pretty disappointing as I was only following the Mac Method so far. I hope it does not turn into anything serious and I can keep it in check with the cordovan cream once it arrives.

I think I will stick to very minimal brushing from now on and maybe just use a soft cloth to buff them every once and a while.

4. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Burzan, thanks for sharing your experience. Recent testimonials convinced me not to brush my c&j shell. I only use a damp cloth and buff with a cotton rag. I will try not to use products on them either.
    Has anyone applied alden defender to c&j shell?

5. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

This is bloom coming out of the shell. Take a damp cloth and wipe it off. Then brush and buff.

6. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I will give that a try next time it see it occur. I do hope that is all that it was but they looked like NAMORs pair of Giannis after brushing them but mine was on the vamp. Maybe he can chime in on how/if he found it to be bloom or found a solid remedy. He never claimed it to be bloom and stated he now avoids brushing that area from everything I could find from him while doing a quick search.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  7. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

NAMOR ties his laces around the boot where the bloom is coming up. ^ Wipe Brush Buff

8. dcinitial

dcinitial Senior member

I've experienced dryness in the creases as well and I dont think its bloom. Thus far I've just reno'd the area and brushed and buffed and waiting to see what happens.

Though Mdubs posted his "solution" a few months back: http://www.styleforum.net/t/268417/...ran-lindrick-mccallum-rhett/4155#post_6754462. Curious if the dry area has come back. Maybe he can chime in.

I've actually applied Alden defender on my shell lindricks last week. What would you like to know?

9. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

I don't know if my 'solution' is really a permanent solution. I really don't want to flood my shells with products. It is more intended as my periodic care routine. Other than that,
    I lightly brush and buff diligently.

1 person likes this.
  10. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Just curious to know if you had a positive experience before I try it. I'm hesitant to do much to c&j shell besides damp cloth and cotton buff.

11. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I have applied Defender to C&J shell without incident.

12. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Great collections

13. dcinitial

dcinitial Senior member

Yep no noticeable adverse effects. SFTG - have you noticed the defender working ?

14. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

TBH, with respect to this boot, I have never been in inclement weather to "test" it.

On another note (cross-post from C&J thread), can anyone speak to the differences in sizing/feel of the 325 v 335 lasts?

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Sorry to hear that Burzan. From the sound off it both you and I are afflicted with dry shell, fortunately for me the affected area is less visible at the middle shaft. The photo you quoted shows the affected area and it appears as a light brown/tan and feels like sandpaper to the touch. Does this compare to your experience with the troubled vamp area? Chipshot pointed out that i lace my shows around the shaft which I do. However the lacing doesnt contribute to the dryness. In fact, if you look at very top of the shaft, you can see where the laces lines have pressed into the cordovan, this area is about 2 inches higher than the affected area. I did get a spell of bloom but it was a few inches away from affected area; it was a welcome sight. I treat by boots with either reno or venetian and brush the vamp, leaving parts of the shaft unbrushed. i might go over it with a soft cloth in a circular motion. Treating this area is a bit tricky because a normal brush actually aggravates this problem so I avoid brushing that area altogether. Actually I avoided brushing all together this last round

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  16. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

i see youve replaced your rrl selvedge chinos. what did you do with old pair? retire them? sad theres no more red selvedge line. thats whats been holding me back from buying a new pair. i dont really care about the oz fluctuations but really just that line lol

17. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

lol, i still have them. I need to patch them up a little in the crotchery and theyll be back in business. these are the orchard street selvedge chinos, made using the same fabric as the le selvedge chino i wore during the contest.

I also have a 9.5oz selvedge chino with tags. Need them tappered as i do the orchards. You know ive owned over 5 pairs of the tan officer selvedge chino and none of them had the red line. I also have the charcoal chinos but need the waist taken in on those. And got a pair of the olive selvedge coming in. also have 2 pairs of rrl cargo pants nwt. CANT WEAR ANY OF THEM BECAUSE THE LEG IS WIDE AS ALL HELL

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  18. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Haha looks great!

What you described sounds a lot like what I experienced, I noticed right away when I was brushing and was able to stop brushing when only maybe a half inch section in one of the rolls started to appear rough. Since treating the area with Reno it evened the color back out and seemed to smooth things a bit. Looks much better now but I will be likely following your lead and shy away from brushing that area too much. Just a quick brush to remove dirt/dust and them give them a wipe down with a soft cloth.

19. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^ to your point, and ive noticed this myself, reno conditions shell better than venetian. Venetian just sits on top. reno penetrates

20. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member