1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Oct 1, 2011.

1. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  2. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

+100

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Penny loafer

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I have two pairs now. Such a solid shoe. :slayer:

Been thinking about the tassel, but it's too fussy for me. Sort of like the PTB is too blah.

5. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Solid look namor. I really like the way that looks together.

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

nicely done

7. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

So, is there anyone here (perhaps with insider knowledge) who might know what RL are going to offer this season in cordovan? I'm itching to know!

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Thanks guys. If only it was just cold enough for flannel and shell, I'd wear it year round

Word is size 13 in shell chukka, Lindrick, and unicorn'ed gianni

9. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Gianni made from Unicorn hide? Sounds irresistible.

10. bubba04

bubba04 Senior member

Speaking of rough spots, here's what the side of my Lindricks on only one shoe looks like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  11. zr0e

zr0e Senior member

During the sale I bought both, and consequently returned both Lindricks and Giannis. I didn't find the fit to be tenable but I also found the finishing to be sub-par. I'm sure the construction is better than Alden and there may be fewer QC issues but I'm not really sold. Maybe their non-shell offerings are superior?

12. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

I'd say that the one pair of C&Js I've handled (McCallum) are easily better, construction wise, than all the aldens I've ever seen. tight stitching, no loose threads, sole to welt to upper fixing looks excellent.

just a shame the shell finishing is horrific (on my pair I received last month). sadly, no restock yet at RL so I might be sending back for a refund instead of exchange

13. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Wow. I feel very lucky when I read posts like the above, as (knocking on wood) my Lindricks have held up superbly so far and the finishing on the cordovan appears to be A+. That said, they've been worn +/- 10 times and are only a few months old, so time will tell. In any event, there is no excuse for putting out subpar shoes at this price.

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

next time you watch a sad movie or attend a funeral, cry onto your dry, wretched, earth-scorched lindricks. what the big, right-wing, shoe care corporations dont want to you to know is that for centuries snot and tears (preferably of sadness) have been the shoe care of choice by industry professionals; keeping leather supple akin to underside of human female mammary gland. the greeks for example, after a big victory were known to collect the tears of their captors, women and child alike, in leather vessels. These tears would be reserved for only the bravest of warriors because after all, baby tears ARE FOR CLOSERS ONLY! and now for shell menopausal shell

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

you in for unicorn hide cordovan boot? maybe we can get a group buy going. horween says its incredibly rare, but ive heard that shish before. i tell the guy, "hey horween guy quit giving me the run-around. i know all about the pallet of unicorn hides coming in from neverland - saw the update on peter pans tumblr". so thats when it got really quite and awkward and i could hear him whispering to someone in the room. im still trying to get them to throw in a shoe horn made from the horn but i just keep getting more flack from them. im telling you these shoe companies/tanneries can be so difficult at times. do they want my business or not?!?

16. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Are the Italians not making unicorn hide?

17. bubba04

bubba04 Senior member

Not sure what the true intent of the tongue-in-cheek reply is -- particularly since my post was motivated by a surprisingly similar one by you not too many pages ago. Regardless, I wear the snot out of my Lindricks with very few fucks given for rough spots. Just thought someone might find my update useful for some reason.

18. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

hey i was kidding. the dryness really is a p in the a but im resigned to just live with it; keeping it conditioned with saphir while not brushing the problem area as the bristles to aggravate the surface. fortunately for us the problem is on the shaft and not the well-worn vamp.

edit-bubba i was trying to be completely unhelpful with my initial post but look what you made me do. tisk

19. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

Makes me regret getting rid of mine. sniffle sniffle.

20. bubba04

bubba04 Senior member