1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Oct 1, 2011.

1. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Frankenmunks. I originally ordered in the same size as my Lindricks/Marlowe wingtips. That was too big.
    I re-ordered in same size as Gianni. They fit snug but have already started to loosen up.
    Cordovan has that typical greasy feel. It's not dried out like some have noted with their Marlows. They also don't seem to be caked with an excess amount of brown polish like some past C&J cordovan pairs I have.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

those are great. I do wish they were either double monks or lace-ups. imagine that pair as a pair of brown shell lace-ups. mmmm

3. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

Sent mine back as the closure to get them to fit my low volume foot was too much to deal with. Also, the extra layer of cordovan leather over the top might be too warm for my climate. Too bad, they looked very cool in a casual manner. Interestingly they had a Neiman Marcus price sticker on them for $899. Also the 9.5 US equivalent was marked 9E And 43. .. Unlike my new Gianni's marked 8.5E 42.5 for the same US 9.5D. Weird, I have seen this before on some othe RL Marlow makeups.

4. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

If you want brown shell lace up, Paul Stuart have the Carmina ones on sale for 300 something, though not a captoe

5. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

6. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

curious if this pair of chukkas I just got in are par for the course, condition wise? I'm not too concerned with the inconsistency of the toebox, but the edge dressing on the inner of each shoe is sloppy as all hell..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm used to the shortcomings of Alden, but never handled C&J..

thanks in advance!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  7. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Wow that edge dressing is awful?! Looks like it was applied by Jackson Pollock! Tricky situation as I imagine these are all sold out now, with no idea if they will be continued. I would take to B Nelson to see if they could correct the wrongs.

8. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

yeah they appear to be removed from RL's site.. sale price was good of course, would be willing to give RL a shot at replacing even if took awhile

unfortunately not close to B Nelson, i'd have to ship. would hate to miss my window to return if nothing can be done to clean them up..

time to ponder

9. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I would email those photos to Nick at Nelson. He would probably be able to tell you whether he could do anything - worth a shot and he is normally very good at replying. I'm very jealous - I would keep those for sure and either get them "repaired" or just wear the living hell out of them!

10. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

C&J Bradford (derby laceup)

[​IMG]

11. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Love those shoes. You can pay more for a similar pair of shell cordovan MTM shoes, but these are pretty nice for Goodyear welted.

12. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

The edge dressing issue is easily remedied. AE's chili dressing should do the trick. I'd be much more concerned about the inconsistencies in the shell as shown in your pics. Good luck.

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

The edge dressing on my Gianni's and mccallums were both subpar. Not as bad as kwhites, but someone over in England ignored obvious shortcomings and I hope this this doesn't become a trend

14. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

MERRY25 takes an extra 25% of sale stuffs if anyone still wants to get their frankenmunk on.
    Looks like it's mostly larger sizes left though.

My Marlowes from several years ago had kind of crappy edge dressing applied too. Easy enough to remedy though.

15. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

talked with RL today about my bum mccallums. unfortunately, they are sold out, but told me to keep checking their website to see if a restock happens in the next month. if not, they'll return them.

the sloppy over applying of the edge dressing isn't a deal breaker, but the right boot is wickedly bad, finish wise. streaks going in various directions, almost two tone.

this pair has made me appreciate alden QC more I'll say [​IMG]

16. PeterL

PeterL Senior member

Have any had experience with RL for Crocket and jones restoration experience? I am thinking send back mine to size down half size and resole

17. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Peter, I believe that you should actually send it to Crockett and Jones directly. If in the US, they have a shop in NY.

-Mike

18. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

hmmmmm I wonder if it would be worth sending my recently acquired McCallums to them before sending back to RL (assuming RL cannot obtain a suitable replacement in time for me to exchange per their policy window)

19. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

I'm not sure if you're focusing (or thinking I'm focusing) on a lack of edge dressing, but my slightly larger concern is the over application of said dressing all over the inside of both shoes inner leather.. it's caked on black dye that a finger easily picks up on (but admittedly, it is on the inside so IF I had to deal with it, I would (sad at this $$ price I'd even contemplate that lol)

I'd assume some renomat/acetone/nail polisher remover might remove the edge dressing, but as both shoes are already borderline two toned and splotchy, I'd prefer not to add to it lol

20. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Yes. I misunderstood you. I see now what you are referring to. Sloppy indeed. Good luck.