• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I finally have my Marlows. They really are things of beauty and I'll be sure to post some photos at some point soon. At the moment I'm buffing and wearing them around the apartment, sticking to areas where I have carpet / rug. The soles really are stiff and I can only imagine they'll take a age to break in.
Congratulations on the new Marlows. Did you get the wingtips, PTB's, or the loafers? Silly question I know, but they are all designated as Marlow on the RL website. Your right on with the buffing, they do come with a car load of wax on them. Surprisingly my wingtips didn't take very long at all to feel comfortable. Nice score!

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Congratulations on the new Marlows. Did you get the wingtips, PTB's, or the loafers? Silly question I know, but they are all designated as Marlow on the RL website. Your right on with the buffing, they do come with a car load of wax on them. Surprisingly my wingtips didn't take very long at all to feel comfortable. Nice score!

The wingtips. Beautiful. Only issue is some heel slippage with the right shoe - the left is perfect. Would you happen to have a decent solution to that perchance sir?

I've been eyeing one of the belts from Equus leather. The color is either the oak or dark harness. Both have a rich color, the oak is lighter and I would imagine the Marlows would patina to match the lighter shade with time.

Mmmm... that Oak Brown looks nice. Thanks for the info.

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The wingtips. Beautiful. Only issue is some heel slippage with the right shoe - the left is perfect. Would you happen to have a decent solution to that perchance sir?
Mmmm... that Oak Brown looks nice. Thanks for the info.
As you've mentioned the double leather soles are quite stiff and as such a certain amount of heel slippage is to be expected. Nobody's feet are the same size, and we all walk with a gate that is either right or left foot dominant. As you settle into your new shoes they'll begin to mold to the the shape of your feet.

gsgleason

Reaction score
I finally received my Marlow Wingtips from the recent sale.

I'm on the fence about whether I want to keep them.

First, the color isn't nearly as lovely as a lot of the pictures I've seen, which make them out to be a nice mahogany shade. Mine are more greenish like cigar.

Here they are next to my brown shell strands (AE), which are not really that red at all in true light. This is my smartphone 'flash'

The second issue is that the flaps close together when they're tied. I'm wearing thin socks, but there is no room to make it tighter, and in my experience shell will stretch a bit over the top, perhaps making them too loose over time.

Thoughts?

Kwaker

Reaction score
If you're not sold on the colour ... return for refund.
If you keep and they do loosen over time, a band-aid solution would be the use of a tongue pad.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RL accept returns also for creased shoes? just for curiosity

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The second issue is that the flaps close together when they're tied. I'm wearing thin socks, but there is no room to make it tighter, and in my experience shell will stretch a bit over the top, perhaps making them too loose over time.

Thoughts?

I have the opposite issue where it doesn't close enough for me. If you are not happy with how much they close, I think they might be too wide for you. Don't think there is really a solution for this unless you are able to size down.

gsgleason

Reaction score

Thoughts?

I have the opposite issue where it doesn't close enough for me. If you are not happy with how much they close, I think they might be too wide for you. Don't think there is really a solution for this unless you are able to size down.

There is no way I could size down. These are relatively narrow in the first place, and are snug on the sides, just not on top, and my smaller toes are very close to the edge.

I think a tongue pad or thicker socks should suffice for the ability to tie it tighter.

Now I just need to determine if I want to keep the greenish hue. Why oh why couldn't they look like these from another member (countingsheep)?

As promised, a few examples of what Venetian can do. I can't say enough how great their product is.

vyhe3yne.jpg

yzaru9ut.jpg

zu3emupe.jpg

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed that old stock of these shoes (Polo branded) have the same color as above.

The actual stock are much darker, almost dark chocolate except under the sun, probably for a different finish that cover the original colour.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand your fit issues. I have wingtips, PTBs, and two different versions of loafers (Marlow and Prescott) from RL. The cordovan will definitely stretch over time!

I recommend visiting a store to exchange the ones you received for a better fitting pair; RL is always accommodating about this in my experience. I find that the fit and color between pairs of Marlows in the same size can vary dramatically. It seems like the shade of brown cordovan sold by RL has become darker over the years. Keep in mind it is possible to alter the color through a polishing regimen. Good luck.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gsg just return them you don't seem to be satisfied with these shoes. How many pairs have you gone through now?

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd post a quick (edited) photo of my Marlows. Still have some buffing to perform - they coloring is quite uneven in some areas. I'm glad that they don't have any green hues, just a beautiful, rich mahogany :happy:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads