• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

david3558

Reaction score
Tristan - funny you should post that, I have a same comparison picture between my 8.5's as well. However, I find that the non-shell Barrie LWB's fit snugger than the Shell ones. I'd say pretty drastically so, almost 1/4 (possibly more) in a difference of sizing volume. In any case, it's really too hard to say. My non-shell LWB's all fit spot on, with perfect comfort. The Marlows do feel a little tight, and the Barrie on Shell (both Color 8 and Black) are a bit loose. I could probably go with tongue pads on the shell ones...

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tristan - funny you should post that, I have a same comparison picture between my 8.5's as well. However, I find that the non-shell Barrie LWB's fit snugger than the Shell ones. I'd say pretty drastically so, almost 1/4 (possibly more) in a difference of sizing volume. In any case, it's really too hard to say. My non-shell LWB's all fit spot on, with perfect comfort. The Marlows do feel a little tight, and the Barrie on Shell (both Color 8 and Black) are a bit loose. I could probably go with tongue pads on the shell ones...
That's a good point about non-shell Barrie Aldens. I have none and am only comparing the shell Alden LWB here.

I mention that because I know other Alden Barrie shoes can fit differently, even though they are also Barrie.

The Barrie LWB in shell is the largest fitting Barrie ever.

To reiterate- The Barrie shell LWB in 8D seems about the same size as the Marlow in 8.5D both when I line them up sole to sole as well as try the fit of each.

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

IMO, there is no way one could go with their same Barrie size in the Marlow wingtips unless they are wearing their Barrie LWBs way large. 

That's because your feet aren't everyone's feet.

People ask for opinions on how various shoes fit.
Poeple give their opinion based on their own personal experience.
Trying to size shoes via the internet and polling can only go so far. Debating it is moronic.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

@jrd, they always say that though. im pretty sure they said it last winter when i got my marlows.

Is it just a matter of finding the right SA?

I thought in sales like this they can't give you the discount due to the computer system limitations.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's because your feet aren't everyone's feet.

People ask for opinions on how various shoes fit.
Poeple give their opinion based on their own personal experience.
Trying to size shoes via the internet and polling can only go so far. Debating it is moronic.
I dunno, looking the the pic of each shoe in the same size side by side, I just can't see how they could both fit equally well physically for anyone. Something has to give.

Last edited:

Hermitedge

Reaction score

I dunno, looking the the pic of each shoe in the same size side by side, I just can't see how they could both fit equally well physically for anyone. Something has to give. 

But according to the forums, it does happen. I wear a 7.5d in trubalance, an 8 in the C&J 240 (not AS snug fit), and will probably go with a 7.5 in the marlow wt. With the double sole, id rather the shoe fit snug. Ill report back my findings when this happens.

Last edited:

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hell, I went to Barneys today to try on C&J and I'm a half size smaller than I would have thought based on reading SF - I'm a US 9D and most lasts it seems I'm a UK7.5E/US8.5D...
I'm interested to know if you or others have tried on C&J's made on their 337 last. I believe it's the last used on their higher grade calfskin offerings, and the one with which I was most familiar before discovering RL Marlow shell cordovans.

Last edited:

mikeharo

Reaction score

Crappy iPad pic - taken with heels squared off with t-square, another t-square by toes for reference - keep in mind the Dalton's, Marlows, strands and desert boots have 360 welts which make the shoe slightly longer

My brannock size is 8.5 as measured at various retail and podiatry locations

Dalton's are 8.5 - sole length: 11 1/8"
Rancourt for prl are 8 - sole length: 11" exactly
Marlows are 7.5 (not a typo) - sole length: 11 1/8"
Indys are 8 - sole length: 11.5" and they are simply massively voluminous - alden retailer said they were the right size but I should've gone 7.5
Strands are 8.5 (no, I do not size down for 5 last) - sole length: 11 5/8" but I love the fit
Desert boots are 8 - sole length: 11.25"
Any specific requests? My Barrie lwb are at the cobbler for some work

Could the issue here be that the Marlows may (or may not) be UK sizing?

Last edited:

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is it just a matter of finding the right SA?

I thought in sales like this they can't give you the discount due to the computer system limitations.

this is just based on my observation, i have nothing to actually back this up but i think its the complete opposite.

if you talk to SAs on the phone, in the store they all say no cordovan on sale but then you try to order online and you get the discount. my thinking is they dont update their computer system to reflect no cordovan during these sales.

@mikeharo, thanks for the comparison. your shoe collection is awesome. my indys and my marlows are both 10.5.

Last edited:

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
If your foot is on the wide side of D you'll likely go TTS with the Marlow WT. If your foot is on the narrow side of D you'll likely go with your barrie size. I'm personally stuck in between; I went with my barrie size and it feels a smidge too snug. I had to use shoe trees that are too big in order to stretch them and now they fit pretty well. If I were to go TTS in Marlows they would be way to big; couldn't keep my foot in the shoe when walking. Your picture sure makes it look convincing Mediahound, but in the end one actually has to put one's foot in the shoe and feel comfortable wearing it. In this case wearing, not seeing, is believing. Great illustration though my friend...

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DpprDr, a beautiful way to start out the work week. Love the blue suit with the pinstripes. Classy!

mikeharo

Reaction score

my indys and my marlows are both 10.5.

So you're saying marlow = trubalance (which = barrie by most accounts). I (perhaps boldly) believe this is because the sizing of the Marlows is UK. This would not explain mediahound's size difference but it would explain the size difference in my pictures. In mediahound's example, his 8.5 Marlow (if UK sized), would be a US 9/9.5. However, in his picture, the US 8 LWB is longer than the 8.5 Marlow. If my theory on UK sizing was correct, it would be the other way: an 8 Marlow would be similar to an 8.5 LWB and would therefore be longer than his lwb, not shorter. Now the controversy: notice the sole measurements of my Daltons and Marlows. Marlow in 7.5 is the same sole length of the Daltons in 8.5. Also notice the 8 Indy boots are 3/8" longer than the 7.5 Marlow. If we agree that sizes change 1/8" for every half size (someone please correct if this is wrong), the 7.5 Indy would still be 1/4" longer than the Marlow. UK vs US sizing would explain that 1/4" difference. Or am I crazy? Now, those Marlows are from last spring's private sale. This would show the UK sizing theory holds some water. Perhaps something changed since then. In the end, the "everyone's feet are different, go try them on" is the correct way to go. I appreciate that people are not near a RL store and are handling this online. Forums like this exist for people who are seeking that help so I am trying to contribute. When I get my barrie lasted shoes back from the cobbler I will update. I also have a pair of barrie swb coming from LS and another lwb coming from Leffot so I can do comparisons with shoes that have not been worn yet. Anyone else care to measure their shoes??? I cannot believe I have come to the point of measuring shoes for an internet forum.....

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads