1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Oct 1, 2011.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

NAMOR, good call on going TTO for the pennies.

I've had time to break them in, and they settled very well for my foot. There was some heel slippage at first, but now they're perfect.

After about 20x wear, the sole begins to flex and the shoe conforms to your foot. I did have to put in a tongue pad though. Medium thickness socks can help too.

Thought this would be helpful info for people on the fence.

Thinking about adding a second penny to the family now. :slayer: Don't think that the tassel is quite my steez. Looking at the Harvard too. Probably will get both

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  2. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

Nice amount of action on this thread today. My humble contribution...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

^ nephew, excellent cam method shine on those WTs.

Wear in good health

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  4. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

I was thinking recently that a cigar shortwing or ravello blucher in the barrie last, 9.5E and with dark brown soles would have to be considered my my "grail shoe." However, these don't really exist or don't seem like they will exist in the future (I doubt Leather Soul does its ravello shortwings ever again, and if they do, I don't see a D width coming). Color 8 shortwing bluchers appear now and them but I am looking for more of a brown than a burgundy... Alden of Carmel makes one, but I would like a double leather sole. Maybe Leffot will do another CIgar Atom again, I should be able to get that in 10E...

5. chipshot

chipshot Well-Known Member

Great shot of the colour variation on these ... Well done!

6. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

Wow Hoit, that is an excellent looking color and shine! Love the way your color has changed, assuming it started out as a dark brown shell like mine. Well done my friend!

7. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

You're absolutely correct. The ravello SWB on barrie is practically nonexistent. I have the color 8 from Alden Carmel and really like it, but if you're looking for brown shell, the Marlow is certainly your best option.

I've got to stop revealing my Alden bias here, not that most of you didn't already know. You may have already mentioned this, but how do you size for the Marlow wingtip? 10D?

8. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

Thank you kindly.

Thanks chap.

Thank you very much friendo. Love the color on these too - always a treat to behold.

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

Thanks man. It's a bar, cross, cross

-
    X
    X
    Etc

For boots without speed hooks I lace up to 6 eyelets only. Otherwise pain in the ass

10. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

↑↑↓↓←→←→BA

11. IJReilly

IJReilly Well-Known Member

I keep reading about this, but every respected cobbler and shoe salesman tell me to simply put on my shoes and go out the door. Is there anything else I should be doing aside from standard cordovan upkeep (a good boning from time to time, regular brushing and the odd drop of renovateur and Saphir cordovan cream)

12. IJReilly

Yes, these LWBs seemed to have an even deeper and darker burgundy/brown than the PTBs I bought in NYC a year ago.

I've pretty much decided that Alden Barrie lasted shoes are going to form the core of my collection from now on. They are unrivalled in comfort, quality and timeless design (despite the fact that they are trendy now).

13. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

+1

14. BeSpiffington

IJR, your kidding about blobby Alden's being trendy now aren't you?

15. IJReilly

It depends on what part of the menswear world you are discussing. Amongst the #menswear crowd, no. They worship the elongated lasts of G&G, Carmina etc. In some groups they are certainly trendy though. For example, pretty much all scandinavian high end fashion stores (Nitty Gritty, Trés Bien for example. Some stock similar Carmina models in cordovan) stock Alden at the moment.

16. BeSpiffington

IJR, it could also be an "ages of man" thing. When men are young and self important they seem to gravitate toward pointy toed balmorals. As they age comfort becomes more important so they opt for old world handmade budapester type derby's. It's kinda what I've noticed over the years.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  17. IJReilly

In that case I was born old. I've fought a losing battle against the pointy hordes since I took an interest in shoes seven years ago. For a while Tricker's were trending, but they are pretty much out of the picture now around here. I though I was going to become a Church's loyalist until I discovered that Alden shoes are actually worth the 900 dollar price tag they have in Europe.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  18. Alcibiades

10D. I could probably try 10.5D, but I don't think I need the extra length. I used to buy 10.5D in brands like Gucci/Ferragamo, but since switching more to Alden/Church's/EG/C&J, I have typically worn 10 sizes at the longest

19. Alcibiades

I don't think we can deny that Alden shoes are very trendy with a specific subset of people that follow fashion. Look at blogs/Tumblr, read GQ, etc, Aldens are increasing in prevalence. That's why it's so hard to get rare shell nowadays.

20. IJReilly

This doesn't change the fact that they are awesome and classic. In one sense, they are simply part of the general trend toward quality, product focused, heritage brands among the fashion crowd. Not to worry though, the trendy people will move on in a few years and leave all that delicious ravello and whiskey for the rest of us. And we will once again be thought of as people wearing "old man"-shoes :slayer: