1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Oct 1, 2011.

1. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

The service at CJ NYC was great last time I was there. You should deal with the manager.

In other news, how come nobody wants to do a CJ MTO? Think of the possibilities!

2. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

What do you have in mind for a MTO shoe or boot othertravel? I prefer shell cordovan, but C&J has some beautiful offerings in calf.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  3. IJReilly

IJReilly Senior member

So many good replies. Thanks!

4. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I would also be interested in a MTO. Some sort of badass boot perhaps?

5. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  6. othertravel

Yeah, why not? Like a navy calf or cordovan Tetbury; something along those lines. They had amazing swatches at C&J NYC. Are there any vendors that can do a group MTO to avoid an upcharge?

I think a Tetbury (calf or cord) would get alot of interest, especially with fall/winter coming up.

From: http://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/product/crockett-jones-tetbury

[​IMG]

7. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I would love a brown cordovan all eyelet Harlech with a storm welt on Danite. Do C&J only offer cordo in dark brown? I love my Marlow wingtips but would love something darker - similar to Cigar.

8. othertravel

I would say take a look at their swatches if you're close by. Amazing selection.

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

id be interested as well. should point out that the UK store mentioned they were already having trouble fulfilling orders for their stock shell offerings. the harlech is pretty awesome. love the last shape

10. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I wrote to C&J to ask about the new Cardigan wingtip on the 335 last and this is what they told me.

You know how everyone always says that the Marlow is the Pembroke with some tweaks to the upper? Could this new shoe be a closer match to the Marlow?

Which looks more similar to the Marlow in terms of shape: the Cardigan or the Pembroke? (Ignore the sole and the eyelets)

11. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Cardigan v Pembroke (left v right)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Darlton/Marlow (left right)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  12. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I don't mind waiting... In fact it would be a pleasure. How would a group MTO work anyway?

13. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Want to get the MArlows. However, could use some assistance in sizing. Some comparable models that fit:
    Alden (barrie last, aberdeen) 9D
    A&E generally 9.5D, however some of the longish lasts require me to go to 9d. Mostly 9.5d.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  14. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

The Marlows only come in one width so order a 9.0 and a 9.5 at the same time. You'll know right away which shoe fits better.

15. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I recenty reached out to C&J regarding a group MTO (cordovan Harlech, all eyelets on something like storm welt with commando soles). This is the answer I received...

Thank you for your email and interest in our shoes.
    We can do these group orders but it tends to be on shoes that are discontinued or just a colour variation on something we are currently running.
    Your requested modifications are not too difficult but I would stress that if we did go ahead with the order all shoes ordered would not be exchangeable or refundable as they would not be a current line that we keep in store.
    We can however modify a pair off the shelf with a different sole unit but that's all, which is at a cost of £60 and takes around 6 weeks. This will be a pair that is made already and not ordered from day one with this modification.
    Also, if you do go ahead with the order then it will require full payment for each pair before we place the order.

The order will take around 10-12 weeks as our factory is the busiest it's been for 70 years, so it will take time.

Best Regards

Steve Murdoch

General Manager
    Crockett and Jones Ltd

... No idea on pricing yet and of course the details and modifications would need to be fine tuned. Is anyone else interested in going in for this? I'm very serious and could start a new thread to discuss the details - maybe shoot me a PM if interested.

16. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

So basically the BB version with metal eyelets and commando instead of dainite sole?

17. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  18. othertravel

So about £800?

19. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

And dark brown instead of #8.

Not sure - have emailed to find out prices. Pretty sure I read on the website that orders sent out of Europe would have VAT discounted.

20. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I heard back from Steve at C&J today...

The cost of Harlech is £575 but as a non EU customer we will take off the VAT so the price will be £479 plus an shipping costs.
    If you want to go ahead with the order I will designate my assistant Lauren to deal with all the orders and collate the sizes.
    Your associates would need to try the boot on in one of our stores to get the correct fitting and then email Lauren the information.
    Lauren will then place the order.

What do people think? Should I set up a separate thread to fine tune the details?