• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

Hermitedge

Reaction score

^^C&j shells tend to have this issue (different shades).

Currently having that issue on a new pair of Burgundy boots. One shoe is significantly lighter than the other. Also, the dye seems blotchy in the light on the cap toe. Not sure if I should keep and TRY to fix or return and lose out some good pricing since another size isnt in stock.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Put mine on the other day promptly took off as it was so dry and I'm too lazy to Reno anything let alone brush more than 5 seconds

Just realize I never responded you book trip yet?

no worries

with regard to the marlows, the left shoes is always dry. its also much darker. the right one is shiny and supple and more golden, than brown

Last edited:

Hermitedge

Reaction score

no worries

with regard to the marlows, the left shoes is always dry. its also much darker. the right one is shiny and supple and more golden, than brown

Namor, have you ever had any success evening out shell colors in the past? Or they always go back to how you pretty much received them? These BB Peal Caps are making it difficult for me.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
havent really tried. i have pairs with subtle differences but it doesnt bother me; just adds character to the shoes imo. i once had to return a pair of lindricks where one vamp was much lighter so i exchanged them. fortunately, RL had an available pair and the replacement pair was a 10/10. if the shoes are new, I would recommend exchanging them.

i know that increased exposure to light (along with heat, perhaps) can lighten a shoe. I might leave the darker shoe out on the sun for hours a day for several weeks and then report back.

to darken, saphir cordovan paste wax in brown along with alden's cigar paste wax darkens lighter shell cordovan colors. how much and is it permanent i dont know but the change is noticeable immediately after an application of paste and an accompanying brush

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
whats up with the bb peal boots? if new, exchange them. if used, try one of the above with an appropriate color.

Last edited:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Namor, have you ever had any success evening out shell colors in the past? Or they always go back to how you pretty much received them? These BB Peal Caps are making it difficult for me.

The differences is part of the nature if shell. Unless it's REALLY dark, there are going to be some variations.

Hermitedge

Reaction score

The differences is part of the nature if shell. Unless it's REALLY dark, there are going to be some variations.
whats up with the bb peal boots? if new, exchange them. if used, try one of the above with an appropriate color.

I can be picky, but its about 2-3 shades lighter on the vamp, almost all the way around on one boot. Plus the cap toe dye looks blotchy in the light, not sure if that evens out with time/wear. It's my first C&J related product, all my AE and Aldens have come free from blemishes, whereas this leather had nicks, scratches, etc. It's unworn, they just dont have anymore in my size till who knows when, and I miss out on a good price.

Last edited:

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If one shoe is darker in homogeneous way then the other probably the sun method suggeste by Namor is the best choice.
the big problem is when the difference is in panels of a single shoes, in this case I would return/exchange the shoes if possible.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can be picky, but its about 2-3 shades lighter on the vamp, almost all the way around on one boot. Plus the cap toe dye looks blotchy in the light, not sure if that evens out with time/wear. It's my first C&J related product, all my AE and Aldens have come free from blemishes, whereas this leather had nicks, scratches, etc. It's unworn, they just dont have anymore in my size till who knows when, and I miss out on a good price.
Sorry to hear that this turned out less than ideal for you. However I would think there would be a better than average chance they will restock eventually, and they will probably have another sale like they have already done more than once previously. Prices still may go up a bit, but better to get something your happy with, than something you'll regret keeping.

Either way, I hope everything works out for you in the long run.

Last edited:

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will have to repeat myself. C&j shell always have this problem. Even when new if no issue they will develop different shades sooner or later. And yes they will develop different shades in same shoes in different panel. What I think the issue is c&j don't use a strong finish on their shell like alden or ae does. Anyway you will get over it , like me.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the upcoming sale, will your local RL store help you to find E widths in Marlow PTB and wingtips? I'm in Boston.

Countingsheep

Reaction score
Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, L

AHowdy folks

asy9une6.jpg

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice Marlows! I do have to say C&J shell ages well. They ligthen up fairly quickly but into a nice tan color.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads