1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Oct 1, 2011.

1. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

2. razl

razl Senior member

One thing I noticed in the pair that I just got was not so much a color difference between the two but rather that the grain was not aligned identically between them. I've got a pair of Tricker's Stowe boots that have a similar (though mush less noticeable) effect.

This is going to sound weird if you haven't seen it in person, but if I view the two boots where I see each boot's same side (left and left or right and right) one will be slightly darker than the other. However, if I view them from above, the sides appear the same color. It has to do with the lighting and the grain, not the actual color of the leather itself. I can tell because if I slowly rotate the boots the color appearance changes as the lighting on it changes. I vaguely recall an old thread with photos that captured this fairly well, but don't have a link to it.

edit: I should also add that "grain" may not be the correct term here. Again, the old thread had a much better explanation - it may have been the grain or some other bit of hide esoterica that I don't recall.

In any event, it's not very noticeable and the shell is so freakin' beautiful you'd have to pry it out of my grubby mitts.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  3. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

^ I've actually noticed a similar effect in some old Darlton wingtips pics as well. C&J def. often uses a lighter piece of shell on the vamp piece.

IE

[​IMG]

4. huskyzealot

huskyzealot Senior member

When was your order placed? I ordered at 8:00am ET today, yet to receive such an email...but will feel a lot better when I get a shipping confirmation.

5. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

the PTB is not available online right?

6. sm31

sm31 Senior member

Right.

7. pdotjdot

pdotjdot Member

does anyone have a lead on a size 9 or 9.5 for the lindrick boot??

8. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Swansea UK 9.5E and Marlow US10D (received today.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I got mine in store. I feel lucky to have found them, which is ironic, because I wanted the wingtips. Now I'm glad I ran into these.

10. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

Is the Marlow basically the Swansea?

I thought the Darlton was basically the Pembroke, too? But now the Darlton is only available offline?

11. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

I'll let you know when i get my tassels in a few days. my brannock is 11 but with a skinny foot. The 10's in all 3 (wings, ptb, pennies) work for me but the pennies are a little short--they feel great sockless but wearing socks with them leave my toes a little cramped. However, zero heel slippage due to the snugness. The last on the tassels looks like it migh be the C&J 72--diff than the other 3 so it will be interesting to see if they work.

12. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

^ i forgot to mention that if you get slippage with the tassels, but not the pennies, this would indicate a last that is sized more like the wings/ptb (e.g. bigger) , which may not work for the loafers. the sole is so thick that break-in takes quite awhile so you may have the problem for quite a while, maybe always in that shoe.

13. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

thanks for the reply

i just assumed that all the marlows were on the same last. man i may need to go down a full size like you or just wear with inserts

please post your thoughts when they arrive!

14. Manfred Freitag

Manfred Freitag Well-Known Member

Got my Lindricks. They are beautiful. The right tongue is (was) stitched to the inside of the boot about halfway down and when I went to pull the tongue back to slide in my foot, I tore the stitch and put a slight tear / hole in the tongue. Invisible when the boot is laced but I cannot believe I mutilated an expensive new boot within 4 seconds of removing it from the box. A new personal worst! My mother was right, alcoholics do NOT deserve nice things!

15. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Hmm, I may have missed out this round. Headed to the Mansion tomorrow; if that doesn't work, Soho it is.

16. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Look at it this way, using C&J as the baseline:

The Marlow wingtip is: Pembroke 325 last + upper design and color scheme of Swansea + Cordovan leather upper + Double leather sole.

17. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^ spoke with a RL cs rep and he said RL doesn't have any new orders of the penny or tassel coming in. If you want either, in your size, call your local rl store. I think I might hit up my local rl and buy up their stock.

18. theyare

theyare Senior member

So what did they end up cancelling on you and when was the order placed?

19. forex

forex Senior member

I thought they didn't fit you? I thought I got a good deal when I bought them at 50% off :fu:

20. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

They were purchases at 8:21. Size 11.5 penny and size 11.5 tassel. At 11:02, I got the email from RL. I also picked up the 12 but I haven't received the shipping confirmation even though I paid an extra $20 for two day shipping.

Forex, when did you buy them? I purchased a pair earlier this week and they gave me the $100 price adjustment