Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Oct 1, 2011.

1. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

It appears I have Namor to blame for this.

Bad Namor, Bad Namor.

Thanks Namor.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012

2. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

I had bad luck with reno on a pair of Aldens in whisky shell. Permanently darkened one section of the shoe.

I've moved on to Saphir Lotion for simple conditioning. Saving Reno for when I want to take advantage of it's 'cleaning/stripping' capabilities.

I doubt that this problem I had with Reno would occur on darker colored shell - or even that it might consistently occur on lighter shell. But I'm once disappointed and will not ever risk it again.

3. Morgan

Morgan Senior member

I mentioned this a few pages back, but I'm looking to trade my used Alden whiskey plain toes, size 8.5 (Barrie) for Polo C&J plain toes, size 9, in similar condition. They're great shoes but any time I want the pop of whiskey I reach for my longwings, so these don't get much use. With only one plain toe shoe in my rotation, I think a darker shell would work better. There are some scuffs and dings that come with wear, and the worst ones are visible here on the right shoe.

[​IMG]

To keep this thread-appropriate, here's a bonus photo of Polo C&J loafers fresh from the box. In a weird coincidence, I sold my Alden whiskey LHS as soon as I bought these (again, great shoes, but the Van last never worked for me).

[​IMG]

4. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Mine may slip in the heel by a few millimeters and I almost wouldn't call it heel slippage.
    Some educated me on here too, before that I thought they were interchangeable too.
    Could just be the light, but these looker lighter in color than mine. Interesting.

5. stevent

stevent Senior member

Depends on your size but stock seems pretty low. C&J mismatches a ton of shell colors I got like 3 Marlows the first time around, the 10 and 10.5 were beautiful, 11 was pretty badly mismatched

6. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I saw that post, sorry to hear about that.

I do wonder what happened there.

7. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

dddrees, Venetian cream is the only shell care product you need. I've tried all on the market and Venetian is 'the best' par none.

8. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

It appears as there a quite few here who have a lot of success with Saphir.

However in your opinion what makes Venetian Cream better than Saphir Renovator when it comes to using it on shell?

9. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Look what was waiting for me when the family and I returned from Vacation!

[​IMG]

(RL Darlton wingtips, Alden x J.Crew chukkas). Pretty happy with the fit 'N finish of both, still haven't tried them on yet.

More pics of the RL's:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. tmw

tmw Senior member

I have both Marlowes (gorgeous cigar short wing-in fact they look exactly like the shoe in the above picture from the post before this ) and Lindricks in size 8. I like the Marlowes but love the Lindricks. I've probably worn the Marlowes five times , max. and would maybe think about a trade for something cool.

I'm specifically looking for the cigar NST tanker with the antique-edged sole that Leather Soul had in stock for about 3 minutes a few months ago...
    anyone with a pair like this in 7.5D Barrie want to trade for the above? Oh well..I had to ask..

I'm not limited to Aldens, and also wear EG's and G&G's. So If you've got something amazing in EG 7.5/8D or EG 8/8.5C please let me know. I have no problem adding cash if necessary. In G&G I'm a 7.5E or 8C/D depending on last.
    cheers
    Todd

p.s. I'm not interested in anything in #8. No problem with #8 at all, I love it and have plenty , just sick of it. Also not usually into cap toes or monks.

sorry for putting this here. now it's in B+S where it belongs.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012

11. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012

12. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

dddrees, Venetian gives a mirror-like shine with less time and buffing than Saphir's cordovan cream. I have both in the shoe care box, but Saphir hasn't been used for months now.

13. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thanks for the quick reply and information.

I'll definitely have to take this into consideration.

Cheers,

Dan

14. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Wow, didn't expect that so quickly.

Just recieved notification that my first pair of Lindricks have shipped.

I can smell the Cordovan.

15. gentpax

gentpax Senior member

For clarity's sake, when you say Saphir cordovan cream, are you referring to their cordo-specific product which has a neatsfoot oil base and no turpentine?

Confused here because that is definitely a different product than the Saphir renovateur.