1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Oct 1, 2011.

1. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Joseph A Banks is currently selling their shoe trees for 1/2 off or $12.50 a pair. Not as good as 3 for 1, but still a good deal if your in need of some shoe trees. They're definitely better than those being which Nordstroms Rack sells at $11.00 a pair.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  2. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Century 21 has shoes trees at 12.99.

3. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Links help:

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_101593

and

http://www.c21stores.com/flash-product-holder/woodlore-cedar-shoe-trees

4. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Your Marlows look outstanding sir! Not at all like the new pair I just got. I believe I read somewhere on this thread that C&J's come with a lot of wax on them from the factory. Might using some Saphir Reno and brushing help to reveal more of the underlying shell while I wait for some Venetian shoe cream?

5. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I've used about three applications of Saphir Reno so far on my Lindricks and they look a bit better to me.

6. phototristan

Note that Venetian Shoe Cream leaves more shine than Saphir.

7. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

But isn't Venetian Shoe Cream just a neutral shoe cream?

8. Countingsheep

Countingsheep Senior member

Thank you...

I won't pretend to be an expert here but I'll bet a pretty penny that Reno will not hurt your shoes. I'm sure someone else can chime in here and help out... EDIT: there they are ^

Most of all, get out and wear the things :slayer:

9. phototristan

Depends on what your definition of a 'neutral shoe cream' is. Venetian is made from fine oils, cleaning agents and waxes. Saphir probably is too. They are both conditioners.

10. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Saphir actually states it's a cleaner and conditioner, but Venetian only states that it is a shoe cream on the container.

11. ChiliPalmer

ChiliPalmer Senior member

I feel like Venetian stripped the oils out of my 975's. Granted, it seems to have imparted a serious (and permanent) shine to the shoes, but there no longer is any bloom on the surface of the shell if I go a long time without wearing them. The only thing I've ever used on my Marlow's is Saphir Renovateur. If I go a few weeks without wearing them, when I come back there is bloom on the surface of the shell.

12. phototristan

13. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

14. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

That's interesting. Wish I had thought to check on that before I get rid of my Ultras.

15. phototristan

16. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I must have missed the clean part.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Cheers,

Dan

17. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Posted earlier today on a thread what I'm pretty sure is in VSC, http://www.styleforum.net/t/333578/ingredients-in-venetian-shoe-cream/15#post_6242967

I use both VSC and reno on my shell. Saphir says to use their Cordovan specific products on shell because it does not contain turpentine, and that turpentine is bad for shell. But anyone that has used VSC and does any woodworking knows that VSC smells very strongly of turpentine, and as mentioned Nick Horween recommends VSC for shell. Reno contains turpentine so... Stripping off the excess cream on shell is important to get a good shine IME. I have reached the point where I use Renomat on most of my new shell that has cream on them to strip them clean and use the Mac method.

I am a 10D in AE 1 and 5 last, 9.5 on Alden Barrie and went with the 9.5D in Marlow. I had to stretch the left shoe because of tension along the base of the little toe. I have never had luck with European sizing, and find the Marlow's typical of that. Not a perfect fit but it works.

For trees I find that the Epic Woodlore fill the high vamp of the Marlow perfectly.

Good looking shoe no matter how you look at it, though fit is number one priority to me. Wore them today, I haven't done anything to them except brushing and Reno. At least so far:
    [​IMG]

18. phototristan

I don't know for sure but it seems like Reno has more turpentine, because when using it more dye seems to come off onto your towel. People don't smell it as much because Reno is actually scented with perfume.

19. katch

katch Senior member

Please tell me that the Lindricks can be warn in the summer and with a suit...

20. forex

forex Senior member

No, you can't wear Lindricks in the summer, let alone with a suit. Unless you are wearing a flannel or tweed suit.