1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rh

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Oct 1, 2011.

1. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Woo hoo, just got a ship notice. That means they had an 11.

:fu: now I have to pay for them

2. Manfred Freitag

Manfred Freitag Well-Known Member

Lipschitz just shipped my Lindricks, as well. Can't wait to wear them in the mosh pit!

3. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

C&J uses Horween shell.
    I believe Vass does as well.

4. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Woo hoo, I just got a call from the SA telling me I want be getting the 11.5s that we ordered Sat morning!
    The 11.5s are all gone, but there were 3 pairs in the system when I gave him my CC info on Sat??

Do they run a little big? Is it worth trying the 11s?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^ i sized down a half size. good chance the 11s fit

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Damn. Probably some orders in advance of yours that were not fulfilled yet.

Call some stores or get a 12. My experience is that stock is not really well documented.

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Not everyone was able to. I went with my true size, an 11. I'll wear a thicker sock.

I'll let everyone know how they fit.

8. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

how do you guys think a commando sole would look on the Lindrick?

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

I think if they were resoled to a single leather sole with commando, would look great!

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I dont know. I'm not into that kind of sole to begin with, but for the same money you can get a pair of custom trickers and they'd be made that way from the get go.

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^ I agree. I wouldn't get a new pair resoled but after 2 years I might. I live in California so I really dont need a commando sole. Would prefer a single leather sole

12. makewayhomer

well, I'm not "into it" it's more of a functional thing to boots more easy friendly through the Boston winter, and also on rainy days.

I just read through the trickers thread, I didn't realize you could get MTO from them for so cheap ($500 ish?). but my understanding is you can't get Horween shell from them (and if you could it would bring the price way up anyways)

13. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I think an individual MTO is going to run you a lot more than $500.
    The bulk MTOs (order of 6) are going for the stock price of about 355gbp for boot (minus VAT for US peoples).
    So if you're good at herding cats and get 5 other people to agree to the style, Shoe Healer will do it for the standard price.
    That's assuming a "standard" MTO using the normal options/styles in calf.
    See the Tricker's MTO thead.

I seem to recall the price for an individual MTO is another 100-120GBP above that.
    And shell is another 100-200GBP above that. Memory is fuzzy on this though.
    Best to ask Richard (aka the Shoe Healer).

Allegedly the Tricker's Mogano cordovan is Horween.
    See http://indigoshrimp.wordpress.com/2011/10/25/trickers-mahogany-shell-cordovan-stow-boots/
    He got his info from the factory dude who runs the ebay shop.

14. makewayhomer

I saw that blog ^ that's a nice boot, looks like it sold for $430 + shipping which is a great deal, fairly comparably to Alden shell seconds

but of course waiting around for seconds that you want can be an indefinite process, more of a lottery ticket than an actual alternative

$580 ish at the current sale price is about as good as you're gonna do for first quality C&J shell boots. deep discount for the C&J for BB boots was about $600, and that wasn't in a 'rare' shell color. I think they basically fly off the shelves at that price so they don't need to go lower.

I guess the Alden for J Crew shell boots sometimes can be had on coupon for mid $400's, but again that's in #8. It's nearly impossible to get new, 1st quality, boots in the whiskey/ravello/brown spectrum for under $600

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  15. ruben

ruben Senior member

Those of you with the Darlton/Marlow Pennies: did you order true to size? or size up 1/2?

I bought a pair a while ago, true to size, but they're tight in the toe box and I'm thinking of buying a new pair in a half size bigger.

I haven't broken them in at all (they're too beautiful to wear) so maybe they'll stretch.

16. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

With tax the Lindrick was almost $600. I paid a bit over $600 for my custom trickers so they are about equal. Shell is more, granted.

17. forex

forex Senior member

I went up half a size on the penny loafers, other shells are my regular size.

18. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

FWIW...

I received a second code via email this morning. And it looks like the popular sizes (10-12) for the Marlow and Lindrick are available to be ordered online again.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  19. sm31

sm31 Senior member

And how does that work for you?

I get the feeling that a lot of people are stuck between sizes on one or more of these shoes: either the loafers fit perfectly and the others are a bit tight or loose (depending on whether you size down or not), or vice versa. Is that a reasonable generalization?

20. nringo

nringo Senior member

For the pennies and tassels I bought a 10 and 10.5 back in May, normally wear 10.5 The 10's were snug but the 10.5's much too big. I kept the 10's and though they took a bit of breaking in, they're comfortable now with light socks or sockless. I don't really wear heavy socks anyway, so that's fine. With the recent sale I bought the wingtips and the 10's fit great - not tight at all, actually perfect. Still a bit of break-in with the double sole, but that's to be expected.