Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

crockett & jones for polo?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chocoball, Dec 12, 2004.

1. chocoball

chocoball Senior member

Hi, can anyone tell me if these boots are a good deal? The seller claims them to be C&J, but I guess they're not from the top line? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....52&rd=1 Thanks.

2. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

They are CJ, but I think you'd be better off getting the McCallum shell cordovan -- better looking shoe, and in cordovan -- from Bluefly for about the same price (or sometimes less). The Polo CJs are not simply handgrades rebranded. They are a totally new shoe, I think. Not handgrade quality, but definitely better IMO than CJs benchgrade.

3. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

I own that boot and love it. Got it on Ebay a while back and paid about that price (sigh...) to Grapevinehill.

I would say that you'll definitely get use out of it. A nice shade of tan and an attractive toe.

I also own the McCallum Chukkah (official boot of the Styleforum) and would say that the McCallum is a lot less elegant - has a broader toe, etc.

4. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

They are C&J and really nice looking. They are very different from the McCallum, which I own. The McCallums are more casual. These boots seem much dressier. Price is decent also. I just paid $295 for a pair of Grenson Jodphurs at the Paul Stuart sale. These boots seem comparable.

5. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

This same model is on sale at the Ralph Lauren store on Wisconsin Ave here in DC -- except in dark brown suede. $299 and they didn't have my size. [​IMG]

6. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Do you know what sizes they did have on sale? Â And are the Edward Greens they sell on sale as well?

7. Kaga

Kaga Senior member

They weren't around Thanksgiving, except for a few of the tuxedo slippers with Ralph's initials on them -- not quite top drawer.  They looked at me askance in the Rhinelander mansion when I even dared ask if the Purple Label shoes would be on sale. And I wasn't even wearing the outfit I am wearing in my avatar.

8. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

I only saw one Edward Green at the store (a lame black captoe that was, for Edward Green, entirely unimpressive). It was not on sale.

Don't know the sizes of the suede Jodhpurs. They brought out an 11 for me but I didn't even bother trying it since I am on the small end of a 10.5 and I think C&J runs big. They didn't have a 10, either.

9. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

That's too bad.  eBay seller kellyb33 was selling the Polo suede jodhpur in size 10D for $279 this past week.  It garnered only one bid.  I would have bid had I known with confidence that it would fit.  Unfortunately, I was stuck in the office all weekend and unable to make it to the Polo store in Georgetown.  And, apparently, the store would not have had a 10D for me to try on.