• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones Drummond Fit

cscharti

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a new pair of shoes and the C&J Drummond last 348 has caught my eye. This will be my first C&J purchase, so I am not too sure of the proper size to buy. I do have a few pair of AE shoes in the #5 last (McAllister) in which I am a size 10.5D. These are ever so slightly snug but the fit is good.

I have read that one full size down and E in place of D for UK would be the norm (9.5E for me correct?), but I was curious if anyone else wears a 10.5D AE and has the 348 last in the C&J. If so what size did you get and how is the fit?

On a side note does anyone know if Barney's in LA or Vegas carries C&J, I'd love to try on a few pair before purchase if possible? I plan on giving them a call tomorrow but thought I would ask here as well. Thanks for the help!

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am USA 10.5E/11D/E and I bought my Drummonds in UK10E which is a comfortable but a little snug. I am loathe to buy 10.5UK though.

Poshak Man

Reaction score
For me it was a half size down on the 348 last and a full size down on 337 last.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a 10D in AE and went down to a 9E in the hallam, which is also on the 348 last.

I recommend a full size down

Poshak Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I wear a 10D in AE and went down to a 9E in the hallam, which is also on the 348 last.

I recommend a full size down

What size do you wear on the 337 last?

jsherman02

Reaction score
The 348 last fit me great, the 337 fit more like a d/e width which did not work for me...they are great looking shoes.

By the way, can you even find C&J on-line anymore? Pediwear and Plal still show all sold out...

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be careful with this as the 348 has a very tight toebox due to the chisel shape.

To be fair, I have a wide foot, but when I tried them on in the Jerymn St shop and it was like being footbound.

Going up/down a full or 1/2 size varies considerably with the last. 90% of my shoes are British and its a coin toss on whether I went down 1/2 or a full size on each, depending upon the maker and the model. (e.g. I am a 10.5 and have C&Js in both UK 9.5 and 10 sizes)

Asian Afro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spark
Be careful with this as the 348 has a very tight toebox due to the chisel shape.

By "very tight," do you mean across the vamp, under the vamp, or both?

I have a pair of Barker Lincolns in FX width, which is supposed to be between a regular F and a G. (I normally take G.) It's fine for my left foot, but the right shoe pinches the base of my big right toe just a tad when I walk. The shoes weren't quite wide enough either, but they stretched after a few wears. For me, the Barker Lincolns don't have quite enough room under the vamp.

The point of this is, I've tried a pair of Drummond in 7G and found them too loose--a bit wide and too much room under the vamp and the facings. I read elsewhere (the C&J group buy thread) that C&J last 337 is a bit wider than the 348. This made me think: since I can manage an in-between size like FX, does this mean I might be able to wear 337 in 'E' width?

It just opens up possibilities.

The downside to wearing not-quite-wide-enough shoes is that my right foot will put unsightly creases across the vamp. My left foot is just fine, since it's not quite as wide as my right foot. As for the pinching, I minimize that by wearing thin dress socks.

P.S. I know I should just go into a store and try those shoes, but I don't live near any store that carries C&J.

tacobender

Reaction score
I personally didnt need to size down in that last. I also have lower arches from years of working on my feet. I did agree that a half size down is probably needed, and if that is the case, he could opt for the wider shoe.

Barneys in LA, SF, and LV do not carry C+J any more. My selection in Scottsdale is limited. Barneys in NY carries a wide selection as well as C+J having their own store there...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads