Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Crockett and jones

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by matadorpoeta, May 1, 2004.

1. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

can someone tell me what this is and how it differs from the regular calf? they only seem to use it on the less formal shoes with a storm welt so i'm guessing it is somehow more rugged or waterproof. thanks in advance.

2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Crockett & Jones "cavalry calf" is a semi-corrected grain, boned (polished) leather to imitate the look of shell cordovan (horse leather). It's somewhere between boxcalf and the standard corrected grain (high gloss leather with a plastic look).

They use it on their styles "Boston", "Lanark" and "Pembroke" which are essentially copies of some classic Alden shoes.

3. darkoak

darkoak Senior member

B-S, so is it correct to infer that cavalry calf is lower quality that "regular" or box calf?

4. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Within the C&J Benchgrade line, I prefer the standard calfskin to the calvary calf. Brooks Brothers also offers a few C&J models in the calvary calf. I find standard calf easier to maintain and much more admenable to "highlights" or amateur refinishing experiments.