• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett and Jones v Wolverine

PairOfDerby's

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I really didn't know where to post this so please feel free to move it if it's in the wrong place. I know each brand have their own threads but this question didn't seem right in either.

As the title suggests, I am looking at two pairs of boots, the Crockett and Jones Coniston and the Wolverine 1000 mile No 8.

I know comparing these boots is slightly like comparing apples and oranges but they are the ones I'm looking at.

I've been only buying Church's for the last 10 years or so when it comes to solid boots / shoes but Church's seem to be moving away from the walking/country boot. So, I'm pretty sure I know where CJ fit in terms of quality when it comes to Northampton shoes and Wolverine seem good quality. The question is, which is best out of these two particular boots? The Coniston's are C&J and therefore quality is a bit of a given. On the other hand, the Wolverine is cordovan (which I've been led to believe is better than cow hide.

Anyway, what do you guys think? I'm not really asking for style advice or opinion here, just comments on quality, comfort and durability.

thanks,

PairOfDerby's

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Wolverine No. 8 is not shell cordovan. It is Horween chromexcell tanned to have the color of their cordovan shell no. 8. I know this only because I was curious and looked at the Wolverine website. Chromexcell is a good, rugged leather, but it is not shell cordovan.
As for which boot is better, I have no idea.

Johnsson

Reaction score
As you said, both brands have an established track record, but I question the utility of the Wolverines. For me at least, the Coniston is by a large margin more appropriate for more occasions (and subjectively much better looking). YMMV.

PairOfDerby's

Reaction score

The Wolverine No. 8 is not shell cordovan. It is Horween chromexcell tanned to have the color of their cordovan shell no. 8. I know this only because I was curious and looked at the Wolverine website. Chromexcell is a good, rugged leather, but it is not shell cordovan.
As for which boot is better, I have no idea.

Thanks for that. That's a real shame though. A lot of online retailers state that these are Cordovan.

ybyedaer

Reaction score
The Wolverine would go very well with a flannel shirt, a shaved/quiff haircut and a fat girlfriend.
56.gif

Last edited:

jamiemcp

Reaction score
I was cleaning my Conistons at the weekend and was thinking that they are by far one of the best shoe purchases I have made (and I have some very nice shoes). They go with most things not super formal, but can be dressed up quite well. Great for the Edinburgh weather without being to clunky and winterish.

cardiffrover

Reaction score
FWIW Wolverine did make Cordovan boots in No 8, I believe one of the was model no 744 and I'm not sure about the others.

I think you made the right choice though.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads