Crockett and Jones retailers and pricing hikes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pg600rr, Mar 16, 2011.

1. pg600rr

pg600rr Senior member

have C&J prices been hiked up recently?? I hadn't looked at any for some time, and retailers such as pedi, bodileys, etc. seem to have jacked up prices.

For example, even utilizing pedi's 5% match thing, Lowndes come out to 257 ($411 U.S.)... I thought they use to be around $350. This applies to all the models I checked, all seem to have higher prices...

maybe I am imagining things.

With that said is Pedi still the best place to buy from? are there any others worth checking?

Plal doesnt seem to really compete any more..

2. theyare

theyare Senior member

I believe the prices did increase a bit last year.

Also, the GBP may be up 5% or more based on when you last looked.

3. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

Every Northampton shoemaker raise their price, Alfred Sargent, Loake , etc.

For example Tricker's Bourton last year was 265 £, now is 315

The VAT has also risen from 17.5% to 20% and influences the final price

4. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

http://www.shoesnorthampton.co.uk/ thought these guys had best pricing from my research... i bought the Northcote boots from them and this is the cheapest i could find

5. pg600rr

pg600rr Senior member

It is weird how non of the retailers are reflecting the 20% VAT in their VAT deduction for US customers?

6. rabiesinfrance

rabiesinfrance Senior member

Bodileys have ditched the Alfred Sargent range in favour of Cheaney, and Pediwear's are all at a reduced price. I once considered the C&J Coniston and AS Culford (both sold by Bodiley's last year), and it was clear who they liked best (and pushed me towards). These days, you're probably on safe ground with Tricker's, C&J and Cheaney. The top-end is top-end, and needs no recommendation. Grenson will probably be in the bargain bin once customers become bored of their new, cheaper, lines.

7. JesseJB

JesseJB Senior member

I'm sure this is could be caused by increased demand. C&J is becoming fairly well-known...

8. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

The hike went into place soon after it was announced that one could only purchase stock models until end of March.

9. HarleyBob

HarleyBob Senior member

It is weird how non of the retailers are reflecting the 20% VAT in their VAT deduction for US customers?

Almost all of them show the EU price which includes VAT and the rest of the world price, which excludes VAT. Why do you say they don't deduct VAT?

10. intfxdx

intfxdx Senior member

i remember a couple of months ago, CJ shoes were not available on pediwear due to the maintenance of website. it was written that there is a huge demand for CJ shoes and they are verifying all their stocks etc. if the demand had really increased, the prices would increase ceteris paribus.
    Who pays the vat in case of an increase ? does producer support this cost or consumer ? it all depends elasticity (price) of the product. Though in that case it should be CJ as these shoes are luxury goods, i.e when prices increase, demand decrease.

11. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Lowndes come out to 257 ($411 U.S.)

I'm sure they've been around £250 for at least the last couple of years; maybe the exchange rate just isn't as favourable for you as it was....

12. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

Lowndes were 290/247 GBP with/without VAT in Nov 2009. 5% increase in one and half years is OK I guess

13. agbassano

agbassano Senior member

USD has weakened quite a bit vs. GBP.... I see the Lowndes for 271 GBP ex VAT at Pedi and Bodiley - how did you get the 5% discount (who did they match?)

14. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Pediwear looks correct.
    Divide the UK price with VAT by 1.2. Don't just take 20% off.

15. pg600rr

pg600rr Senior member

Almost all of them show the EU price which includes VAT and the rest of the world price, which excludes VAT. Why do you say they don't deduct VAT?

That isnt what I said, I said they dont deduct 20% VAT, I was wondering why, if VAT was raised to 20%, they still deduct the old 17%.