• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett and Jones retailers and pricing hikes?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
have C&J prices been hiked up recently?? I hadn't looked at any for some time, and retailers such as pedi, bodileys, etc. seem to have jacked up prices.

For example, even utilizing pedi's 5% match thing, Lowndes come out to 257 ($411 U.S.)... I thought they use to be around $350. This applies to all the models I checked, all seem to have higher prices...

maybe I am imagining things.

With that said is Pedi still the best place to buy from? are there any others worth checking?

Plal doesnt seem to really compete any more..

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every Northampton shoemaker raise their price, Alfred Sargent, Loake , etc.

For example Tricker's Bourton last year was 265 £, now is 315

The VAT has also risen from 17.5% to 20% and influences the final price

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is weird how non of the retailers are reflecting the 20% VAT in their VAT deduction for US customers?

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
Bodileys have ditched the Alfred Sargent range in favour of Cheaney, and Pediwear's are all at a reduced price. I once considered the C&J Coniston and AS Culford (both sold by Bodiley's last year), and it was clear who they liked best (and pushed me towards). These days, you're probably on safe ground with Tricker's, C&J and Cheaney. The top-end is top-end, and needs no recommendation. Grenson will probably be in the bargain bin once customers become bored of their new, cheaper, lines.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this is could be caused by increased demand. C&J is becoming fairly well-known...

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The hike went into place soon after it was announced that one could only purchase stock models until end of March.

HarleyBob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
It is weird how non of the retailers are reflecting the 20% VAT in their VAT deduction for US customers?

Almost all of them show the EU price which includes VAT and the rest of the world price, which excludes VAT. Why do you say they don't deduct VAT?

intfxdx

Reaction score
i remember a couple of months ago, CJ shoes were not available on pediwear due to the maintenance of website. it was written that there is a huge demand for CJ shoes and they are verifying all their stocks etc. if the demand had really increased, the prices would increase ceteris paribus.
Who pays the vat in case of an increase ? does producer support this cost or consumer ? it all depends elasticity (price) of the product. Though in that case it should be CJ as these shoes are luxury goods, i.e when prices increase, demand decrease.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lowndes come out to 257 ($411 U.S.)

I'm sure they've been around £250 for at least the last couple of years; maybe the exchange rate just isn't as favourable for you as it was....

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lowndes were 290/247 GBP with/without VAT in Nov 2009. 5% increase in one and half years is OK I guess

agbassano

Reaction score
USD has weakened quite a bit vs. GBP.... I see the Lowndes for 271 GBP ex VAT at Pedi and Bodiley - how did you get the 5% discount (who did they match?)

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Pediwear looks correct.
Divide the UK price with VAT by 1.2. Don't just take 20% off.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HarleyBob
Almost all of them show the EU price which includes VAT and the rest of the world price, which excludes VAT. Why do you say they don't deduct VAT?

That isnt what I said, I said they dont deduct 20% VAT, I was wondering why, if VAT was raised to 20%, they still deduct the old 17%.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads