Crockett and Jones Lowndes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Star, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

2. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Sorry to ask this again.

How much do I need to size down from my EG 82 size for the Lowdes? If I recall correctly, these run a little large?

I dislike giving this kind of advice, but I'd say that the 82 and the 348 fit pretty similarly.

3. rilian

rilian Senior member

Um, Amex generally bilks one to the tune of 4% on currency conversion....

Really? I've never noticed extra fees on my Amex. On my visa I always get gouged!

4. jsherman02

jsherman02 Senior member

I'd highly recommend that anyone not familiar w/the 348 last try them on first. Barneys is carrying the westbourne these days.

Super pointy. The pictures from the catalog and website really don't provide a good indication. If you wear <9, you are OK. >9, look out.

I would not call them "super pointy"

5. Smahatma

Smahatma Senior member

Really? I've never noticed extra fees on my Amex. On my visa I always get gouged!
    Yes, they do. I learned it the hard way after I put all my purchases in Mexico last year on the Amex. Saw a few nice little surprises on the next statement.

6. Smahatma

Smahatma Senior member

I would not call them "super pointy"
    That title should go to the 351 last.

7. sf_esq

sf_esq Senior member

Just got mine today from Bodiley's. I went with Bodiley's instead of Plal because they take American Express, and thus I avoid any conversion fees. It shipped on October 30, and just arrived. Quite fast! I'm about to go into a meeting so haven't been able to try them on yet. I hope they fit.

Nice. So... what's the verdict?

8. sartort

sartort Senior member

I'd highly recommend that anyone not familiar w/the 348 last try them on first. Barneys is carrying the westbourne these days.

Super pointy. The pictures from the catalog and website really don't provide a good indication. If you wear <9, you are OK. >9, look out.

I completely agree. I say that not to take anything away from the 348 last as I think it is a great last. I just found that I liked it more in pictures than on my foot. Perhaps it was the model I tried on, the Merton loafer, that gave me the wrong impression, but I wear a 9 US and I felt like they were too elongated for my tastes. To each his own. As I say, I still think it's a great last, but in C&J I will probably stick with the 337.

9. rilian

rilian Senior member

Nice. So... what's the verdict?

I like them. My first impression before putting them on was that they were a bit pointier than expected. I worried they would look "dainty" or "witchy" when worn. After putting them on and looking in the mirror, I've grown fond of them. The slope of the toebox to the outsole could be gentler, but the elongated shape looks pretty good from various side views. Top view still looks pointy to me, but I think that'll grow on me over time. The buckle makes the overall look more of a refined "rugged" than dainty. So my male insecurities are greatly allayed.

The fit is pretty good. I wear a US9.5D in my right foot, and a US10D on my left foot (according to a Brannock device). I ordered a UK9E and the fit is much better than the three Peals I bought recently, which were all by Alfred Sargents.

So I'm happy and probably won't return them (since it's a pain in the ass to ship overseas to the UK).

I wonder how the Lowndes compare to the C & J handgrades. I'm eyeing the single monkstraps in that line now.

10. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Amex just doesn't disclose them as clearly. Visa and Mastercard were sued a few years ago and part of the settlement was an agreement to break out the currency-exchange fees for customers. Amex just gives you the amount and the converted amount, with no disclosure about the fees, the rate used or anything else.

With Visa and Mastercard, the fees involved depend on the issuer. Some are higher, some are lower. MBNA used to be excellent, but no longer is. USAA is still among the best for Visa/Mastercard.

I'm just bitter because Amex recently screwed me on a purchase in GBP.

11. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Barneys has them but they sell the Lowndes for $595...where I paid around $360 from Pediwear. Next time Plal will get my order.

I think you could have gotten them from Barneys near that price during the 40% off sale.

Interestingly, they were having a trunk show with discounted MTO orders for yesterday and today....thought about doing a brown suede or reverse calf Lowndes, though opted not to after reminding myself even with the weekend discount I could purchase almost 3 pairs of benchgrades from plal/pediwear.

Hmm, interesting indeed, but sounds very expensive.

12. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

No way. I much prefer the JL William, EG Westminster, and this C&J to that one.

That is cause you are anti-spezzatura and pro-trad.

13. sf_esq

sf_esq Senior member

I like them. My first impression before putting them on was that they were a bit pointier than expected. I worried they would look "dainty" or "witchy" when worn. After putting them on and looking in the mirror, I've grown fond of them. The slope of the toebox to the outsole could be gentler, but the elongated shape looks pretty good from various side views. Top view still looks pointy to me, but I think that'll grow on me over time. The buckle makes the overall look more of a refined "rugged" than dainty. So my male insecurities are greatly allayed.

The fit is pretty good. I wear a US9.5D in my right foot, and a US10D on my left foot (according to a Brannock device). I ordered a UK9E and the fit is much better than the three Peals I bought recently, which were all by Alfred Sargents.

So I'm happy and probably won't return them (since it's a pain in the ass to ship overseas to the UK).

I wonder how the Lowndes compare to the C & J handgrades. I'm eyeing the single monkstraps in that line now.

Nice, thanks for the review. I'm still waiting for my Hallams (any day...). The Lowndes is next. Did you pick up a pair of the Ralph Lauren Bentons (CJ Handgrade Belgrave equivalents) from grapevinehill? You may have already seen the thread yesteray, but if not, check it out, a steal at $269 (using "IAMBACK" for $10 off the $279 price).

Update - just received the Hallam. I would agree with your assessment of the 248 last. Slightly pointer than expected, but I'm happy with them. Plal had them here in 8 days and no customs fees. Props to them. Lowndes next...

14. sfo423

sfo423 Senior member

Handgrades are much nicer. If you want a pair of Savile handgrades in a 9E, I have a lightly used pair I'll sell you. I am also in SF so no shipping.

15. habitue

habitue Senior member

One thing I noticed was that the 'Shoe Trees' were sealed or had a finnish on them and I therefore cannot see how they can absorb sweat and keep the shoe fresh.

That shoe-tree-cedar-moisture-absorbing-thing is just a very popular urban myth - against all laws of physics. Where does all the moisture go to? And how is it supposed to come out of the wood again?