Crockett and Jones Lowndes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Star, Oct 8, 2008.

1. rilian

rilian Senior member

I just placed an order for a pair of Lowndes in black from Bodiley's in England. I wear US10D and order UK9E. Hopefully they'll fit when they arrive. I'm quite excited.

2. bullethead

bullethead Senior member

I was also there today and pulled the trigger on a new boot-the Skye. Had it done on the 337 (it is on a new 353 last) in chestnut antique calf. I should take delivery next week on the Lowndes from Plal.

I think I should stay home and watch Netflix for awhile-at least until I pay off the credit card...

3. Happydayz

Happydayz Senior member

monks seem to be in right now. Allen Edmonds also had a double monk similar to the Lowndes called the Mora that was pulled from production after a short run. Demand for the shoe is still high so now it is available only on the website and basically manufactured as they are ordered.

The C&J Lowndes look fabulous.

4. Lord Gladstone

Lord Gladstone Well-Known Member

I own the Lowndes in brown leather now for 6 months or so. They are a masterpiece!
    They're more pointier than most C&J models but it makes the shoes more elegant.

Via Pediwear-Plal they will cost you "only" €250,-

Enjoy!

P.S. I wear them on my avatar combined with a mtm high-water 18,5cm pantalone and red stockings!

5. sf_esq

sf_esq Senior member

I spent the better part of an hour with the helpful C&J people on the top floor of the turnbull and asser building. Tried on every handgrade last and a couple of the benchgrade lasts. I am a snug 8C on the allen edmonds #5 last (the other AE lasts are too wide for me...I need a narrow heel). I figured I would be a 7E UK C&J, though I actually had to go down to 6.5E (which fit like a dream) on the handgrade lasts and the 348, but with the chukkas and chelsea 3 I would be a 7E (though the heel was too wide for my liking...those don't really work for my feet). Ended up ordering the shoe I originally planned this NY trip to buy...Lowndes in black (though they actually didnt have black in 6.5E in stock, so they are going to ship it to me in about 2 weeks). Interestingly, they were having a trunk show with discounted MTO orders for yesterday and today....thought about doing a brown suede or reverse calf Lowndes, though opted not to after reminding myself even with the weekend discount I could purchase almost 3 pairs of benchgrades from plal/pediwear.

Nice. That must have been interesting seeing them in person and trying them. I'm surprised you had to go all the way down to a 6.5. Which ones are you going to order?

6. JeffsWood

JeffsWood Senior member

+1 for P.Lal. Nine calendar days for delivery from Malaysia to BC; this is faster than recent deliveries for stuff from the US. The Doshis are a pleasure to deal with.

OP, sorry this pair didn't work out. If you got them from P.Lal, I would write back describing the problem and see if they can offer re-sizing advice. I don't know if they still offer free shipping on the first exchange but worth asking.

Good chance that my next C & J order will be with P. Lal

7. Smahatma

Smahatma Senior member

Nice. That must have been interesting seeing them in person and trying them. I'm surprised you had to go all the way down to a 6.5. Which ones are you going to order?
    I had them order a pair of Lowndes and ship it to me when they get it. Once I receive them, I'll evaluate the fit after long periods of wearing them and after break in to make sure there aren't any issues with that before I start bulk ordering from plal.

8. why4009

why4009 Senior member

So if understand correctly a C&J 8.5 (UK measurement) would be the same as a US 9.5 correct? It seems like the width is also different. I wear an AE 9.5D so I am trying to figure out what would be the right size in a C&J so would I need an 8.5E? Thanks.

Why4009

9. rilian

rilian Senior member

Just got mine today from Bodiley's. I went with Bodiley's instead of Plal because they take American Express, and thus I avoid any conversion fees. It shipped on October 30, and just arrived. Quite fast! I'm about to go into a meeting so haven't been able to try them on yet. I hope they fit.

10. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

Is plal shipping now? - i see their website is temporarily offline for a move

11. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Just got mine today from Bodiley's. I went with Bodiley's instead of Plal because they take American Express, and thus I avoid any conversion fees. It shipped on October 30, and just arrived. Quite fast! I'm about to go into a meeting so haven't been able to try them on yet. I hope they fit.

Um, Amex generally bilks one to the tune of 4% on currency conversion....

12. sfo423

sfo423 Senior member

I'd highly recommend that anyone not familiar w/the 348 last try them on first. Barneys is carrying the westbourne these days.

Super pointy. The pictures from the catalog and website really don't provide a good indication. If you wear <9, you are OK. >9, look out.

13. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Is plal shipping now? - i see their website is temporarily offline for a move

I don't think their move affects online sales. The order I placed back in September was processed very quickly (the message was already displayed). Once on their home page, you can enter the website and proceed as usual.

14. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

The link to the web site is at the bottom of that placeholder page.

15. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

Sorry to ask this again.

How much do I need to size down from my EG 82 size for the Lowdes? If I recall correctly, these run a little large?