• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett and Jones Boston/Harvard chestnut less pricey alternative

prxtzt

Reaction score
Hi there,

Because I will be wearing these shoes out and about with my kids after work (e.g. on playgrounds), I'm searching for a less pricey alternative to C&J Boston/Harvard in the color in the photo (chestnut?).

I've found the Meermin 101484, but they're (currently?) only available in a darker brown (Expresso).

Would you have any other suggestions?

Thanks so much!
IMG_5183.jpg

KOz

Reaction score
Hi there,

Because I will be wearing these shoes out and about with my kids after work (e.g. on playgrounds), I'm searching for a less pricey alternative to C&J Boston/Harvard in the color in the photo (chestnut?).

I've found the Meermin 101484, but they're (currently?) only available in a darker brown (Expresso).

Would you have any other suggestions?

Thanks so much! View attachment 2200847
The meermin loafers you mentioned are not quite a replacement for Boston/Harvard, as they more elegant (slimmer, higher vamp) and a bit more formal.

Have a look at Manhattan by Septieme Largeur. They're made of suede, but are more casual and feel like slippers, which might fit your use case.

Otherwise have a look at Loake and Berwick.

Where are you based? Hard to give price conscious advice without knowing that.

prxtzt

Reaction score
I'm based in Germany, so any EU shop would work well.

The Manhattan looks wonderful, thanks! I was looking for a smooth leather one, but may consider it.

Loake loafers like the Hornbeam seem quite "pointed" compared to the C&J - or do you disagree? I have Oxford's from Loake and in hindsight I would have preferred to buy something more round in the toes.

Berwick maybe a bit less pointed and thus closer to the C&J but also no chestnut/tan but rather mid-/reddish brown or suede.

Thanks again, this is super helpful for me!

KOz

Reaction score
I'm based in Germany, so any EU shop would work well.

The Manhattan looks wonderful, thanks! I was looking for a smooth leather one, but may consider it.

Loake loafers like the Hornbeam seem quite "pointed" compared to the C&J - or do you disagree? I have Oxford's from Loake and in hindsight I would have preferred to buy something more round in the toes.

Berwick maybe a bit less pointed and thus closer to the C&J but also no chestnut/tan but rather mid-/reddish brown or suede.

Thanks again, this is super helpful for me!
Yes to me both Loake and Berwick loafers don't quite fit the same category as Harvard/Boston. Your search is made even more difficult by the fact that you want calf leather. It's more common to find more casual loafers in suede.

I can personally recommend trying Septieme Largeur since I had a chance to try them on recently.

Last edited:

Rhodia

Reaction score
Yes to me both Loake and Berwick loafers don't quite fit the same category as Harvard/Boston. Your search is made even more difficult by the fact that you want calf leather. It's more common to find more casual loafers in suede.

I can personally recommend trying Septieme Largeur since I had a chance to try them on recently.
How did you find the fit? Their size chart, as others on SF have noted before, gives very odd results.

Is French sizing closer to UK or US?

KOz

Reaction score
How did you find the fit? Their size chart, as others on SF have noted before, gives very odd results.

Is French sizing closer to UK or US?
I usually take my loafers in UK 6.5. I don't recall if 6.5 or 7 worked for Septieme.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katywest335