• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett and Jones 351

Omegablogger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I agree. Of the "Big Three" I think C&J has by far the most elegant lasts. If their leather and finishing were only a step better, they would be a no brainer as the best available out of England.

I sort of agree. Last wise I still think they are below JL but I haven't seen the new C&J stuff in the flesh. There is a certain crudity to their shoes though and as you say the leathers need improving. To me these new lasts have furthered the distance between C&J and the other lesser Northampton makers but they still have some way to go to before they approach the quality of EG and JL.

I'm slightly biased though being a factory shop buyer. C&J handgrade are priced just a few pounds less than JL prestige making them poor value to me personally.

TKDKid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Swann
But it is a pity that they are only available in E widths.

The 348 is available in F widths, although only on one model so far:

item1-11.jpeg

Anyway, different lasts fit differently - maybe you'll be able to squeeze into one of the new ones.

Originally Posted by Khoa
I'll be in London in December, think I might pick up a pair of oxfords in the new 351 last. How much would I expect to pay? Also, do C&J have sales on Boxing Day?

Some of the models on the 351 last are available at the Jermyn Street shop - definitely saw them in black, at least. Price including VAT is around GBP 350. If they have seconds, price including VAT will be around GBP 220.

I think the Royal Exchange shop starts its sale the week before Christmas and the Jermyn Street and Burlington Arcade shops start their sales the week after.

Originally Posted by william
The differences in antiquing between the two are obvious but I can't really see a difference in leather quality.

I overheard one of the managers at C&J tell a customer that C&J Handgrades use the same leathers as Edward Green. No idea whether this is true or not, but I guess it doesn't take into account the processing the leather goes through before use.

Originally Posted by Omegablogger
I'm slightly biased though being a factory shop buyer. C&J handgrade are priced just a few pounds less than JL prestige making them poor value to me personally.

But C&J regular line on the 348 at GBP 100...
fing02[1].gif

literasyme

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TKDKid
I overheard one of the managers at C&J tell a customer that C&J Handgrades use the same leathers as Edward Green. No idea whether this is true or not, but I guess it doesn't take into account the processing the leather goes through before use.
I was told by two C&J employees yesterday that they buy the same leather as EG for the handgrades from a German Alpine supplier (can't recall the name), and that the leather comes from a tannery in Weinheim (I think). What either company then does with those skins is obviously a different matter, and EG's antiquing is doubtless better -- but unless they were telling tales, the basic quality of the leather ought to be the same.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by literasyme
I was told by two C&J employees yesterday that they buy the same leather as EG for the handgrades from a German Alpine supplier (can't recall the name), and that the leather comes from a tannery in Weinheim (I think). What either company then does with those skins is obviously a different matter, and EG's antiquing is doubtless better -- but unless they were telling tales, the basic quality of the leather ought to be the same.

This is interesting. A fellow who said he had worked for some of the Northampton shoemakers -- and seemed plenty knowledgeable about the subject -- posted at AA not too long ago that EG and Lobb leathers were a step up from those used by the other makers. Check it out:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...225#post706225

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads