• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critque my Jantzen

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I was hoping everyone could give me some feedback on my first Jantzen, Thank you.
Grad

Shirt Length: 30.5
Chest: 40.5
Waist: 35.5
Hip: 40
Shoulder: 19.75
Sleeve: 34.75
Neck: 15.25
Height: 69 inches
Weight: 175lbs
Wrist Size: 6.5
Special for Thicker Watch: No
Shirt Fitting: Form
Shade of Shoulder: Slope Shoulder
Shade of Body: Normal
Material Item + Number: Stripe #329, White with Blue & Brown Thin Stripe,110's, 2 Ply, 100% Italian Cotton
Collar Style: Collar #1 Regular Pointed
Collar Stay: Removable
Interlining: Regular
Tie space: no tie space
Back Height: 1 5/8''
Stitching for Collar & Cuff: ¼''
Collar Point: 2 ¾''
Color of Button Hole and Button Thread: Self Color
Cuff Style: Single Cuff Style #9S (cut-away single button)
Contract Collar: Self Collar and Cuff
Cuff Height: 2 ¾''
Pocket Style: None
Number of Pocket: No Pocket
Front Placket: French Front with stitching
Width of Placket: 1 3/8"
Select one: Long Sleeve
Shirttail: Regular Tail
Shoulder Pleat: Side Pleats
Select one: Side Pleats
Gusset Triangle Color: Self Color
Button Selections: Regular Trocas/MOP
Monogram Style: None
Monogram Placing: None
Monogram Color: None

Michael1981

Reaction score
I think the sleeves may be a bit on the long side as well as a bit too loose. Also maybe slightly higher armholes?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you are happy with it then it is fine.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Michael,
Do you mean the sleeves are too loose at the cuff or too loose around the arm itself? Here is a side picture.
Thanks,
Grad

Lino

Reaction score
Should the seam where the sleeve meets the shoulders be a little higher?

Take a look at the photo on the second to last, right side. On the left shoulder (actually his right) there is a bit of a fold in the fabric going from the shoulder to arm pit, should the seam where the sleeve meets the shoulders be there rather than further down?

rabbimark

Reaction score
cuffs seem too tight, and perhaps too long. Makes it hard to read the sleeve length. Do they move freely when you bend your arm, the cuff sliding up a bit into the appropriate position?

Superb work on the collar, I must say. Looks like it fits just right and has a great curl. I can't tell the color with these pictures, but a blue-brown alternating strip is a very sharp choice. Congratulations!

Rolo

Reaction score
What grabs me is that the shirt does not lay flat between your shoulders and your pecs. It's a bit bunched up as if there is too much fabric or it is not shaped for your body.

The sleeves look a bit too long and a bit too wide.

It's not but, I think it can be better. If I were you, I'd send these pictures to Ricky with your next order.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses.
Here are the changes I'm going to make: sleeves will be a little shorter and tighter, armholes will be a little higher, and I'm going to send some of these pictures into Ricky (particularly mentioning Rolo's comment about the shirt does not lay flat between your shoulders and your pecs, which as I look at it now, is the case). I also going to take the waist in a bit (much better then my RTW shirts as it is, but I think it could be a little better). The cuffs right now are tight enough were I can't wear my watch but they aren't constricting either. I'll probably wait until I get a better idea on the sleeves to change those. Thank you all again,
Grad

raley

Reaction score
How does it feel around your hips? It looks like you might want to increase that 1" or so, but I could be wrong.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It could go another inch in the hips, its not really a problem when it is tucked, but If I were to buy a more casual shirt I would definately want it larger.

On a related note, I tried to get some shirts made from Landsend custom and I couldn't get the waist small enough. The way they had it set up to reduce the waist I had keep reducing the hips as well. When I got the hips as tight as I comfortably could and the waist was still rather large. I talked to them on the phone and was basically told the templates they use were probably not going to work for me. So for anyone who has a large waist to hip difference I would recommend not ordering from Landsend and going for Jantzen instead.
Thanks again,
Grad

TIEALIGN

Reaction score
it looks a little long to me in the arms and a bit to big in the chest...it may just be the photo but thats the way it looks to me.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are several things wrong.

first you have sloping shoulders with a right low. Actually your right shoulder is shorter then your left by maybe 3/8"

I can't tell how deep the a/h is, might be too deep.

What is the measurment from under arm seam to underarm seam.
Has this shirt been laundered. Cuff size seems fine, maybe too tight. Those cuffs are fused, they will shrink as will the collar. The collar looks a touch tight as well. especially after laundering.

Carl

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carl,
The shirt has been laundered. I ordered the slope shoulder, do you thing I require the very slope shoulder then?
Where would I measure this (under arm seam to underarm seam)?
Thank you,
Grad

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads