• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critque me please... Haters welcome

jim8680

Reaction score
As I have mentioned in a previous thread I am a local tv reporter.

Anyhow I pulled out some suits I haven't worn in a while and a viewer commented that they looked way too tight...
I live in a more 'conservative' area which is more less fashion backward. Also viewers frequently email us on the fluctuation of our anchors weight, so I don't always take their comments to heart, but I am about 5-7 pounds heavier than when I had the suits tailored so I wanted your thoughts...

P.S. the first two pictures I am in front of a green screen so the coloring looks a bit 'off'

First suit Parc' 81 suit from Bachrach
CT Shirt Spread Collar

Second suit Express(first and last purchase) double breasted suit
CT Business Casual Spread Collar

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your instincts are correct, I'm afraid; look at the pulling on the buttons. Chest is at least a size too tight for a good fit.

jim8680

Reaction score
Two/three things.

1. I have an unusual body type. I have a large chest and a very skinny waist. I’ve been measured at 41-42 for a chest and I have a 30inch waist. Now I know that’s not a large chest per se when it comes to measurements, but if I got a 42R suit I would not be able to show off my physique.. no ****. The best fit for me is Calvin Klein X Fit 40R, unfortunately I have 23 inch round thighs so they are far from X fit. I get 34W 30L and get them tailored. Kind of sucks, expensive.
  2. And most importantly does it look bad, or unprofessional? Or is it just a bit too tight?
  3. Just got back from a police chase, incredibly tired!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And most importantly does it look bad, or unprofessional?

yes.

These jackets don't fit you well. The chest is too small and creates the bowing of the lapels over your chest. jacket is too short and emphasis your hips. makes them look wide in relation to your chest. Button placement is too high and unflattering.The SB suit gives you an A line/sihouette rather than a V line/silhouette. if you have a 10 or 11" difference between your chest and waist, the cut of the jacket does not reflect this. It makes you look the opposite of what your natural build is.

Last edited:

jim8680

Reaction score
Quote: I will never wear this SB jacket again...I easily see the bowing, and the button placement is too high and unattractive.

However in regards to length of the jacket, I disagree. I think that it looks fine if my jacket falls to wear my pockets begin (at there lowest point)

jim8680

Reaction score
Length is definitely short and please do listen to everything Despos has to say, he is one of the best bespoke tailors in the country.

Different strokes for different folks.

I believe since the button placement is so high and the side were taken in at the midsection that it flares out at the end of my jacket, negatively emphasizing my hips.... or maybe I am just an idiot.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Jim, it's time for you to revamp your wardrobe. No ifs, ands or buts

gambit50

Reaction score
That jacket is too short. If you want to look like the current trend of fanboy absurdity then wear it. Or because you like it. But it is not within the reasonable band of 'proper' jacket length.

I also doubt your actual body measurements as the vast majority of people who claim these massive drops are mistaken to put it kindly.
We can see your chest since your jacket hugs it and we can see your waist and hips since they fill your paints.
And no matter how poorly cut and tailored your jacket to emphasize the bottom, nobody with a 12 in drop looks like this.

'Showing off your physique' needs to go on the back burner. Yes, if you are a stud you want to look like one. And you will if your suit fits correctly but this is not Under Armour or shouldn't be. Waist nipping, sure. Corset, please no.

Again, if you want this look as you have it, wear it. It doesn't look unprofessional but it is short and tight. Not sure why you are asking in the forum but rationality is not a human strong point.

And do remember that Despos is wise.

Who the hell emails their local news about the weight and clothing of the reporters?
That makes me sad.

jim8680

Reaction score
That jacket is too short. If you want to look like the current trend of fanboy absurdity then wear it. Or because you like it. But it is not within the reasonable band of 'proper' jacket length.
Not going to wear the SB jacket on air again.
However I may wear the DB jacket when I am live in the field. There will be less light hitting me, so you wont be able to see the 'pull' on the button as much. I will be looking for a larger DB suit in though.

Quote:
You could very well be right, but I will photo the measurements so we will find out if I am full of ****, or not.

Quote:
I had this problem when visiting my tailor a couple years ago. I kept wanting him to show off my silhouette and asked him to take in the midsection in A LOT I wanted to show off my physique... I came come to the conclusion I look like an idiont in those corset of suits and through them away long ago.
Quote: Appreciate your feedback

Quote: A lot of people, usually older. They feel that news men/women are objects that belong to them instead of human beings. They don't mean to be rude, it's more like they feel they are a grandpa or grandma to me and they think I want their advice.

However the women at my station, that's a different story, they are harassed by all facets of individuals.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Can you take out the DB a little bit? Might be salvageable.

jim8680

Reaction score
Can you take out the DB a little bit? Might be salvageable.
I'll take it to a tailor and find out... I really cant guesstimate... But I can say that I had the mid-section taken in.

jim8680

Reaction score
Lets keep this party going...
Typically on weekends I wear 'shabbier' clothes because I typically get 'dirtier' stories.... But today that was not the case.

DKNY Tie
JCP Ferrar Super Slim shirt 16-16.5 34/35 shirt.
TM Lewin Slim Suit Jacket 39R

Pocket square looking amess... besides that thoughts?

jim8680

Reaction score
The green box is covering up my stations call letters*

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads