1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Critique this Suit Fit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gregaz, Jan 6, 2009.

1. gregaz

gregaz Senior member

So, I took a gamble and bought a bespoke (to someone else) suit on eBay. I know that some people feel strongly against it, but I the numbers looked really good, and some of the details looked incredible (working cuff buttons, handmade button holes, etc).

In reality I think it is really close! There is something funky going on with the left sleeve - I measured and the sleeves come out the same length. Something else?

Here are the original photos as advertised.

Please tell me what you think, and thank you in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

In the photo your left shoulder looks like it drops a little making the arm extend farther down.

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Sleeves look about 1/2 inch short from the front, ok in the back, they are ok with the shirt, but if you ever wear something underneath w/o sleeves it might look off.

4. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Senior member

The pants fit very well. Did you already alter them? The jacket looks very good too although the sleeves are a tad short.

5. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

looks like the guy it was made for might have been a hair heavier then you are.

I'd go for more waist suppression, and have the back taken in.

pants could be a touch longer.

6. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Sleeves look about 1/2 inch short from the front, ok in the back, they are ok with the shirt, but if you ever wear something underneath w/o sleeves it might look off.

Agreed. Other than that, I like it. Maybe take in the waist a quarter inch?

7. Opermann

Opermann Senior member

I'm no suit expert but it looks like the shoulders don't fit quite right.

8. harry2quinn

harry2quinn Senior member

looks like the guy it was made for might have been a hair heavier then you are. I'd go for more waist suppression, and have the back taken in.
    I would second that, but then again I'm very big on closely-fit suits.

9. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I agree about getting some more waist suppression. The sleeves don't look quite right, a big short in the front. Not a huge fan of the low button stance.

Pants look good. Maybe a tad longer on the back hem, front seems fine. Hard to tell with the shadows and what have you.

Overall looks like a pretty good score.

10. JFKJean

JFKJean Senior member

I would second that, but then again I'm very big on closely-fit suits.

I 3rd that, tweak it just a tad. Flash some cuff on that jacket and don't you dare lengthen those trousers. Leave them alone! To finish the look, I hope you have a pocket square ready

11. gregaz

gregaz Senior member

The pants fit very well. Did you already alter them? The jacket looks very good too although the sleeves are a tad short.

Haven't altered ANYTHING yet - pulled it out of the box 5 minutes prior to taking the photos.

Thank you for all the comments so far - I can now see that the sleeves could be altered in the front only. I don't want to lose the working buttons!

How is the length of the jacket? That was a big concern for me. I was also worried about the shoulders, but they feel perfect!

And I was already planning on getting the waist suppression altered - I am a 32 waist, so there is A LOT of loose fabric there. [​IMG]

12. JFKJean

JFKJean Senior member

Haven't altered ANYTHING yet - pulled it out of the box 5 minutes prior to taking the photos.

Thank you for all the comments so far - I can now see that the sleeves could be altered in the front only. I don't want to lose the working buttons!

How is the length of the jacket? That was a big concern for me. I was also worried about the shoulders, but they feel perfect!

And I was already planning on getting the waist suppression altered - I am a 32 waist, so there is A LOT of loose fabric there. [​IMG]

I'm a fan of shorter cut jackets (the length of it match or being slightly shorter than the sleeves) but yours is fine

13. Irond Will

Irond Will Senior member

The chest looks like it's ballooning out a little bit and the back around the armpits is loose. It might be enough to take in the back and/ or side seams a bit.

14. apropos

apropos Senior member

I'm a fan of shorter cut jackets (the length of it match or being slightly shorter than the sleeves) but yours is fine
    I'm sorry my friend, but IMO 5 years from today that 'look' will be hopelessly dated.

15. penguin vic

penguin vic Senior member

The length of the jacket being shorter than the sleeve length?? Can't picture it looking any good.

16. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

The length of the jacket being shorter than the sleeve length?? Can't picture it looking any good.

+1

17. apropos

apropos Senior member

[​IMG]

Guess who?

18. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

+1

This short jacket fad is going too far now. Shorter than the sleeves?? [​IMG] Shorten that jacket that way and in a year or 2 you'll never wear it again because it looked foolish to begin with and sensibility has finally caught up [​IMG]

Oh, and also, I would wear that jacket for a few hours before tailoring anything. It is probably molded to the previous owners body and should adjust to you a bit with a few hours on your body. That and a touch of steaming to release the old form.

[​IMG]

19. JFKJean

JFKJean Senior member

[​IMG]

Guess who?

gotta be Thom Browne