• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Critique this suit - fit & combo

merboy

Reaction score
I'd like some critique..

1) Does this suit/tie/shirt go together? Should I pick a white/light shirt instead? Does the narrow (skinny?) tie fit in?

2) What adjustments would be necessary to make the jacket fit better?

3) Which shoes/belt should I wear with this? Black, light or dark brown?

Thanks in advance guys.

1wb

Reaction score
With all due respect, I would not wear that shirt (or tie) with anything. Ever. Wear a white shirt.
Right sleeve on suit needs to be shortened, maybe a touch on the left too.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To answer your questions:

1) Does this suit/tie/shirt go together? Should I pick a white/light shirt instead? Does the narrow (skinny?) tie fit in?

Go with a lighter shirt and ditch that tie. You can do a darker shade of grey like that if you like, but that design is horrid IMO.

2) What adjustments would be necessary to make the jacket fit better?

-the sleeves are way too long. At least a half an inch (or more) of cuff should be showing
-the sides need to be taken in. the jacket looks very boxy
-the back looks a little funny, the bottom shouldn't be sticking out like that. This might be fixed by letting the back out a little, but I could be wrong on this

3) Which shoes/belt should I wear with this? Black, light or dark brown?

The color is pretty neutral, you could do either, depends on your shirt/tie combo. For blues and greys, I'd go with black. For purples and pinks I'd go with brown. Personal preference really.

whiteslashasian

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Burn that tie. The shirt has no contrast against that suit, go with white or white with stripes...

The suit needs to be taken in at the sides, sleeves far too long, back needs some material removed around the armpit area.

Go with Charles' advice.

Please don't tell me that suit is Zara...because your pocket square thing looks like the sewn-on ones they have on some Zara suits nowadays. If it's an actual pocket square then go with white linen or something more fun with a different fold.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Please don't tell me that suit is Zara...because your pocket square thing looks like the sewn-on ones they have on some Zara suits nowadays. If it's an actual pocket square then go with white linen or something more fun with a different fold.

Oh man, are you serious? They reall do that now?

SlamMan

Reaction score
Tie isn't horrible but it's way too skinny for that suit. Agree, the sleeves are too long and the back could be let out.

whiteslashasian

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander
Oh man, are you serious? They reall do that now?
Yeah...pretty heinous right? I believe they do it to promote pocket square sales, or just to make the suits look trendy, not really sure which. I didn't really inspect it, but they should be easily removed with a seam ripper, much like opening a sealed pocket. I also saw some of the Zara Spring line and my god, they are totally ripping off Thom Browne. It's pretty sad actually. Short jackets and trousers, super slim lapels, lots of piping and contrasts. I was just shaking my head the whole time in there.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Try sizing down on the jacket. Shoulders look like they extend well beyond your natural shoulder. This will help with the impossible bagginess around your waist.

Sleeves, as others note, are way too long.

The skinny tie is atrocious. Skinny ties, when they work, are paired with very skinny suits. I don't think the cut of this suit, even in a size that fit you properly, would work with a skinny tie. Why not, you ask?

• Jacket lapels too wide.
  • Suit not cut trimly enough in shoulders and body.
  • Sleeves generally too baggy.
  • Armhole too low.
  • Jacket probably too long.

And also, as others have noted, the shirt/tie/suit combo is atrocious. I realize you tried to go conservative, thinking grey on grey on grey can't possibly clash... but logical as that may have sounded, it looks terrible. You need contrast. Simplest would be a white shirt and a navy tie, but you can work with a lot of different colors and it will work. Trying to match all these mid-greys (and some of this might be the monitor) you've instead got clashing shades within the greys and it just doesn't come off.

On the bright side, I love the fabric. Grey birdseye happens to be a favorite of mine.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.