• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique this bespoke suit from Baron Lee

hgcrpd

Reaction score
Specifically, is it something about the tailoring of this suit jacket that makes it look blocky, or is it just my body shape? Past suits that I have worn have had more padded shoulders, I think, so this is my first experience with a jacket that shows the significant sloping that I have. Is this how it is supposed to look? Is it possible to get a slimmer look out of it?

Just had this made from Baron Lee in Hong Kong. Overall I find the fit to be good and comfortable. With one button buttoned, I can just fit my hand into the front of the suit, and it hugs the body pretty well along the waist. No problems with moving the arms. Normally, the front doesn't crease, making the X near the button; it's just doing that because I tilted my arms out a bit so that you could see the edges of the jacket.

yeeth

Reaction score
the unstructured shoulder is a design choice i believe.
i'm no expert, but i'd prefer a higher armhole and lower button stance...

mlongano

Reaction score
Coat appears to be tight, and the sleeves appear to be a 1/4" to 3/8" too long. Also, the balance appears to be off..shorter in the back than the front.

I'd head back to the tailor for some adjustments.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It looks to me that it has a number of issues. The shoulders fit ok, however the buttonstance is high and a bit too taught. It looks like you could have gone higher with the armholes, shorter with the sleeves, and the overall length looks short. Maybe the front balance being a bit longer is a stylistic choice of the cutter, or your yourself, but the back of the jacket looks very short and even in the front it could come down 1"-2".

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sleeves look very long and the body a little short. Try to get lighting from the front instead of the back for your photos, it will make it easier to judge.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Way too short, buttoning point way too high. That's why you look so blocky.

JG000

Reaction score
Terrible for Bespoke, looks like marginally acceptable OTR.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
too short and too tight which exaggerates your width..hence the blockiness

Benjamin E.

Reaction score
It's way too short, for one. The sleeves need to come up a bit and also the your right shoulder is lower than the left.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JG000
Terrible for Bespoke, looks like marginally acceptable OTR.

No need to make mean comments like this. Remember, he did pay money for it. You could have said: "I think you could have done better with an off-the-rack suit instead."

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hgcrpd
Specifically, is it something about the tailoring of this suit jacket that makes it look blocky, or is it just my body shape? Past suits that I have worn have had more padded shoulders, I think, so this is my first experience with a jacket that shows the significant sloping that I have. Is this how it is supposed to look? Is it possible to get a slimmer look out of it?

Just had this made from Baron Lee in Hong Kong. Overall I find the fit to be good and comfortable. With one button buttoned, I can just fit my hand into the front of the suit, and it hugs the body pretty well along the waist. No problems with moving the arms. Normally, the front doesn't crease, making the X near the button; it's just doing that because I tilted my arms out a bit so that you could see the edges of the jacket.

most of the replies are right on.
the shoulders are a fine shape except that you have a right low shoulder.
the balance is off. that results in the uneven bottom and wide open lower front.
to learn more go to the search function, ask for the following.
"do you have one low shoulder". dated 1-5-11
"how do they cut a low shoulder" dated 1-5-11
"balance explained" dated 4-7-11

may i ask how many fittings you had? do not count initial measuring or finished suit check up.

hgcrpd

Reaction score
How can you tell that the jacket is too short? When I checked for length, it goes right into the palm of my hand when I cup my hands, which is what I have heard as a rough guide for length.

Same for the sleeves - should the cuff of the shirt be showing all the time?

The low right shoulder is due to a slight angle in my stance in this photo. I do have a low shoulder, but it's actually my left shoulder (I used to carry a messenger pack, which was slung on my right shoulder). I checked for this at the tailor, so it should be balanced, but I will double check.

On tightness, should I have the tailor release the waist a bit? Is that where it is too tight? And how do you tell? I think this may be my fault, since I asked for something slim fitting.

I had two fittings before picking up, but I didn't know what adjustments to make after the second fitting. I plan on taking it back for additional adjustments after I figure out what exactly is wrong.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...definitely not their best work unfortunately. Some parts look good (shoulders and lapel shape for example), but others could use some work. Here are some points to mention to Peter if you decide to do another commission:

1) lower button stance 1 inch
2) lower length 1 inch
3) shorten sleeves 1/2 inch

I think when you mentioned you wanted a slim fitting suit he thought the high button stance and shorter jacket would fit in with what you wanted. Just a mis-communication it seems which can certainly be rectified in the future.

One thing I notice as well is that the fabric doesn't look great, at least from these photos. Is it a worsted material from his house fabrics? While generally acceptable, those aren't great (the in-house linens are his strong point) and I'd try and bring in something from Harrison's, Minnis, etc next time you go.

JTA

Reaction score
My experiences with him were always pleasant.

When I visited him for the first time, we spent quite a bit of time on the details (missed some of them though) since I'm not 100% sure of what would fit me but Peter nailed them. I developed my style from there on (and trapped into the realm of bespoke *sigh, point of no return I'm afraid).

Agree with David on the suggestions. Slightly lower button stance, longer jacket (back should just cover your bum and front should not be too long), shorter sleeve and maybe open the waist slightly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads