Critique the fit of Suit Supply Sportcoat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by blc456, Jan 28, 2012.

1. blahman

blahman Senior member

Off the rack from outlet store on my recent Japan trip.

2. buzzron

buzzron Well-Known Member

that's a good find!

3. blc456

blc456 Senior member

The jacket is actually at the tailor getting cleaned up a bit, but I can post measurements when I get it back. If you go to their website and hit size chart on some models it has actual measurements minus the shoulders. If I remember correctly, my 40L had ~ 18.5" shoulders.

4. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

I may order a navy sport coat and give my thoughts on the jacket. It's an intriguing cheap brand that would hopefully put an end to the online made to measure abominations we see. Their jackets are cheap enough to be beater jackets (ironic that I treat my expensive 'quality' jackets like princesses and I would treat my inexpensive 'low-quality' jackets poorly). I think this brand has potential to be the "go-to" cheap suit recommendation for new-comers looking for quick advice.

5. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

Suit Supply definitely seems to be gaining popularity. They are opening several stores per year. Every little detail may not be SF-approved. But then again, it's a business not a forum. I'll be in London in the spring and plan to pop in their store.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

6. Salemi

Salemi New Member

Has anyone tried any of the other cuts they offer? The Roma and Italia styles look promising. I'm not much for peak lapels or ticket pockets, so the Washington is out for me. The options offered on the website are sadly limited; I understand that the physical stores offer lots of fabric options in each style.

7. Superfluous

The one I ordered arrived... barely. The packaging idea was good with a gigantic tombstone shaped box so that there is no folding, however, it came with a huge hole in the middle, all the tape cut through so you could open it and the jacket scrunched up in the huge box with the hanger. Mishandling? It was abused. Not only that, but there is a sheet on the outside that says what it is and the price of it :uhoh:. Who does that? Regardless, the fit is pretty spectacular for me right out of the box, especially since as a 38L, I really don't have these kind of options. I'll post pictures later.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

8. hrb

hrb Senior member

looking forward to this. Am quite curious about measurements on these. If yours goes well, I will be placing an order next week.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

9. Superfluous

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I believe some people wouldn't mind having me do this:

So I finally got around to take some pictures of the jacket. I threw it on over what I was already wearing, so don't judge my outfit :tounge:. Keep in mind that there are some folds/creases from my dropped right shoulder and I haven't yet had the quick-fix button adjusted to help alleviate it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some issues with the jacket (non fit related):

-I believe there is some dimpling in the shoulder
    -I think there's a sleeve pitch issue
    -I've never seen the type of stitching used under the collar at the top. Cheaper brands, I believe, use more of a zig-zag, while other use vertical type stitching or something else. This has a straight across type of stitch, maybe I'll take a picture sometime. I don't know much about the stitching, I just haven't seen it before.
    -Stylistically, I like my skirt to have more flare. This, however, has less flare and looks more like a single-vented jacket.

Some surprising good things:

-shoulders are comparatively (to other cheap brands) very well done
    -the style is very Tom-For like
    -The cut is very slim
    -they have my size 38L
    -wider lapels

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

10. facet

facet Senior member

That looks pretty good, Tony, especially without any alterations. I personally don't like very much skirt flare so it looks good to me; but the sleeve pitch is a bit of an issue, though not a big one. Do you plan on having anything done on it?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

11. Superfluous

Probably only the button moved. I don't think I'll bother with anything else. It's a good beater jacket or jacket for when I'm afraid of having something spilled on another one... plain navy with some sass.

12. connor09

connor09 Senior member

A really nice fit overall.

13. matt1

matt1 Well-Known Member

The dimpling on the shoulder is very obvious, but I really like the color.

14. GasparddeColigny

GasparddeColigny Senior member

I like that jacket, I reckon it's the Washington.

The top of the back could perhaps be shortened 1/3 inch, cleaning up the back (which is remarkably clean as it is).

15. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

Both fits so far look really good for stuff coming in under $500. Tailoring looks like it should be minimal. Also, nice to see that the stuff actually fits the way it looks on the website, as opposed to so many retailers who clip the extra fabric behind (J. Crew, Polo, etc.). I had been debating getting one for awhile. Will def drop in next time I'm in NYC. Thanks for posting this.

Also, anyone know when their S/S stuff comes out?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012