• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

critique the fit of my new suit!

money-mike

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I just got a new suit... please let me know what you think.
It's a Joseph Abboud suit in navy blue (37S, W31)

This is my first suit... I like how it fits overall but I think the sleeves are a little weird. They seem somewhat wrinkly in the back.
Please let me know if you need better pictures as well!

Thanks in advance!

money-mike

Reaction score
Also generally what kind of quality are Joseph Abboud suits? It says it is 100% wool/100% rayon lining (fabric 261002)

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty impossible to tell since the suit looks so dark in the pictures. The pants need to be shortened a bit.

money-mike

Reaction score
dang... I was afraid of that. Let me try to post some clearer pics... Time to find some better lighting!

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what i can see, the shirt collar is entirely covered by the suit? There should be some shirt collar showing at the back of the neck. Pants are long. Shoulders slightly larger than necessary. Pants are a bit baggy and crotch a bit low.

The collar problem, sometimes, that is caused by not wearing a tie and the collar is more loose and it doesn't stand up properly. Try wearing a tie and putting on shoes in your new photos. And also, try to level the camera so that it is shooting from a higher level.

Frank Rizzo

Reaction score
Is it me, or do they pants look slightly big from the side view? Nice suit though.

money-mike

Reaction score
Hopefully these are better... unfortunately now I cut off the bottom of the pants!
Hopefully, you guys can judge the length from the pics in the first post...

money-mike

Reaction score
oops... sorry sonlegoman... didn't read your reply before taking new pics!

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mishon
Pretty impossible to tell since the suit looks so dark in the pictures. The pants need to be shortened a bit.

trousers may be ok with shoes on.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by money-mike
Hopefully these are better... unfortunately now I cut off the bottom of the pants!
Hopefully, you guys can judge the length from the pics in the first post...

trouser length ok. a bit full in the legs.
the sleeves do that because you have an erect posture. the suit is for average posture as all suits are.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't it nice to have Alex around.
smile.gif

literasyme

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
trouser length ok. a bit full in the legs.
the sleeves do that because you have an erect posture. the suit is for average posture as all suits are.

Is there anything an alterations tailor could do about that?

The collar looks a little too high to me as well. In general, the cut is very generous/boxy, but it doesn't seem to fit too badly (except for the sleeve issue). Have you tried going one size smaller?

money-mike

Reaction score
Yeah I tried on some 36 sized suits but something was always wrong with it... either the shoulders were slightly too tight feeling or the body was too tight and wrinkled weird.
I think 38s are just too big on the shoulders...

According to a lady from Men's wearhouse (not where I got this), she said I was somewhere between a 36 and a 37.

Yeah I agree, it is slightly generous, but I think it might be enhanced by the fact that the camera is at waist level... I don't have too many things I can prop my camera on!

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket seems to be a good lenght, the shirt sl;eves are a bit short. It's hard to tell the lenght of the pants without shoes on so I can't say much more than that.

brlfvr

Reaction score
According to a lady from Men's wearhouse (not where I got this), she said I was somewhere between a 36 and a 37.

That's interesting? Good help is hard to find. I think you could have that suit altered to fit you quite nice. I think people have a tendency to pull their arms back and stand up straighter than usual in these photos. I think the issue with the arms is probably more you pulling them back further than you would normally. If there is too much fabric in the back arm you could have that narrowed. It shouldn't be expensive. I do agree that the pants look a little full, but those can be taken in as well. I think the camera angle makes it all look a bit boxy still but but maybe take in the waist a bit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics