• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique Pls: Mystery Charcoal Gray Suit

Ants

Reaction score
Alright guys, I realized I needed a suit for Thanksgiving weekend so I ran off to the Galleria to find one. Since I was pressed for time OTR was the only option. I checked out the following: RLBL: I'd need a 46S which doesn't exist. 44R looks awesome but bicep area is too restrictive BB 1818 Fitzgerald: Again, I'd need a 45S (which doesnt exist) or a 46S which ends up with a 41W pants (i'm a 36) Saks5th I checked out a couple HF suits no idea what model they were but the top would poof. So with 10 mins left of sunday shopping I just grabbed one out of rush...hopefully a skilled tailor can bring this suit into spec. These pics may be hard to tell but its a 42S 2btn solid charcoal suit. The lil dot at the bottom of the suit is my metal belt shining through. What do you think I need to have the tailor do when I take it in? (if you can even tell? sorry for the bad pics) I think after this event I'll be ordering a TaT suit. Thanks! Ants

Ants

Reaction score
well then...i guess I'm screwed...I'm 190 miles away from that Neiman now
frown.gif

penguin vic

Reaction score
Are you wearing your pants very low? - hard to tell from the first pic. The lapels are disproportionately skinny compared to the rest of the suit and you.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think he is just wearing his pants unusually low, which is why people are saying he should get a regular.

Ants

Reaction score
I think I'll go to the tailor tomorrow and see what he says. I need to let the pants out an inch or so...so they can sit higher.

I think my thumbs come in right near the bottom of the jacket.

dk123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
i think he is just wearing his pants unusually low, which is why people are saying he should get a regular.

Could be, but that jacket looks awfully short.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First of all it's hard to tell the pants without shoes on weither or not they are a good lenght. The jacket seems a bit long, you might want to try a short vs a regular. I do think you have the right size as far as the body adn shoulders go.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dk123
Could be, but that jacket looks awfully short.

i know it's not always a good indicator, but the jacket length ends at the last thumb knuckle, which generally is your crotch height. i'm guessing his heftiness makes it a bit harder to tell exactly just how short the jacket is, and how low he is wearing his pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads