• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique: New Senli and Frye Blazer

pengin

Reaction score
I'm currently studying in Beijing and decided to try out Senli and Frye Tailors. Nels Frye is one of the members of SF and was a pleasure to work with. I couldn't find any pictures of their work on the forum, so I thought I'd upload some pictures of my new blazer.

Aside from the sleeves which are a little too long (it will be shortened when I return to Beijing after New Years), what do you think? I want to have a dark grey/charcoal suit made in the same pattern. Do you think that will be conservative enough for dental school interviews?

(I don't know why there's an indent on my right chest in the photo. That isn't there in real life)

Thanks!

3146885252_1d678f452a_b.jpg

[Larger Version of Photo]

penguin vic

Reaction score
Sleeves look messed up and there appears to be a balance problem (or something - I'm no tailor, not even an i-tailor).

Otherwise looks ok.

The midget-photographer-angle of the photo doesn't help.

Will Knowles

Reaction score
Sleeve pitch is off, and the sleeves are a good 1.5" possibly 2" too long. How high are the armholes?

Also, are your trousers on inside out?

pengin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by penguin vic
The midget-photographer-angle of the photo doesn't help.

Sorry about that. It's my first time posting pictures to SF and I didn't have somewhere good to set my camera. I had to settle for a rather low bookshelf.

Originally Posted by Will Knowles
Sleeve pitch is off, and the sleeves are a good 1.5" possibly 2" too long. How high are the armholes?

Also, are your trousers on inside out?

Those khahki's just have their side stitching on the outside - they are more casual. And I definitely agree about the sleeve length. Senli had basically nailed the sleeve length on the first fitting, but I had asked for it to be slightly longer. The sleeves ended up being longer than I would have liked. It would have been fixed right away; but since I was leaving the country the next day and wanted to take the blazer with me, the alterations would have to wait until my return.

Is the sleeve pitch causing the wrinkling on the sleeve near the armhole?

I unfortunately don't really have a frame a reference to judge how high the armholes are, but they definitely aren't huge gaping holes. I would say they are relatively high.

Any other suggestions / comments?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That chin is smoother than a silk RT pocket square; you look about twelve years old. Nice silhouette. The sleeve pitch is definitely the main problem.

pengin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
That chin is smoother than a silk RT pocket square; you look about twelve years old. Nice silhouette. The sleeve pitch is definitely the main problem.

Haha, yes. Those Asian genes make me look young.

Sounds like the biggest problem is the sleeve pitch and sleeve length. I got off pretty easy then. Thanks for the comments!

Smahatma

Reaction score
The shoulders are too extended (and/or over-padded?) for my liking.

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
I feel like your sleeves and trouser legs have the same circumference.

I hear that's the latest style in Beijing junior high schools.

The buttons look like Ritz crackers on him.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Night Owl
I hear that's the latest style in Beijing junior high schools.

The buttons look like Ritz crackers on him.

Actually, given his youthful appearance, I think it works to create a HK British schoolchild look. Not sure if that's what he's going for...
tounge.gif

EMPSUN1.JPG

neyus

Reaction score
I dont think the shoulders are too wide. The Armholes are definitely too big or placed too far backward. Looks good through the body but the sleeves are messed up. Well certainly somethings not right.

pengin

Reaction score
I don't mean to resurrect an old thread, but I wanted to show some updated photos. The sleeves of the blazer were shortened and also made smaller/thinner. I also had a dark navy blue suit made. The results are below. Any suggestions?

3517951272_9a5d9a6f38_o.jpg

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based solely on the pictures, I'd say that the sleeves are still a tad too long for my taste. Something don't look quite right about the sleevehead to my untrained eye.

I'd also prefer a slimmer trousers or at least more tapered but that's just me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads