Critique needed for fitted-cut suit in 21 oz twill

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Svenn, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

You like it, the mucked-up open quarters?

Correct front balance would likely solve that problem.

2. amplifiedheat

amplifiedheat Senior member

Why would you make a military/hard-cut suit with natural shoulders?

3. hymo

hymo Senior member

i think he is just standing too erect for the pics

4. KingOfTheForum

KingOfTheForum Senior member

How much more slim do you want the suit to be? That's a pretty close fit. Going further may cause that dimple on the right side of your chest to become more noticeable.

One of my concerns is with the issues in the back of the jacket. There's too much ruffling back there. It needs to be cleaned up. Even worse, the pants are a disaster. Look at how much extra length there is. That's ugly.....

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

i think he is just standing too erect for the pics

Yeah, he mentioned something about a tailor, which probably means it was cut for his normal more slouched stance, not this perfectly straight pose in the pictures.

6. rs232

rs232 Senior member

Yeah, the balance problem is making the hips appear larger than the chest. That and your shoulders/chest do not appear so structured in this jacket. Foofy's adjustment is much improved, but you should note that you're not built like those huntsman jackets. Your shoulders and chest are not as broad relative to your hips, and your tailor can only flatter what you have, not give you what you don't. Also, huntsman quarters are cut at more of an "angle" than a "curve" from the buttoning point - again, refer to the foofed version.

Those trousers look long ... but are you wearing your trousers at the right height?

7. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

[​IMG]
    Yeah, the balance problem is making the hips appear larger than the chest. That and your shoulders/chest do not appear so structured in this jacket. Foofy's adjustment is much improved, but you should note that you're not built like those huntsman jackets. Your shoulders and chest are not as broad relative to your hips, and your tailor can only flatter what you have, not give you what you don't. Also, huntsman quarters are cut at more of an "angle" than a "curve" from the buttoning point - again, refer to the foofed version.
    Thanks guys, this is actually a huge help. I just went to my second tailor and he agreed with your assessments. Unfortunately he's not an alterationist, so I can't show my improved Foofed version anytime soon, but he is making me another suit with the changes. The waist thing is the most confounding part... I actually do have broad shoulders compared to my waist rs232, I'd post a pic of me in my underwear to prove it [​IMG] , but I do agree this suit seems to make it appear as if I have wide womanly hips compared to my shoulders. Perhaps I should tighten up, i.e. make the skirt area/quarters more fitted (without increasing the waist suppression, if that's possible)? My second tailor in his suit is moving the pockets up, and the waist supression point higher as well to effectuate that, maybe that's all it needs to de-womanize the waist.

8. amplifiedheat

The waist thing is the most confounding part... I actually do have broad shoulders compared to my waist rs232, I'd post a pic of me in my underwear to prove it [​IMG] , but I do agree this suit seems to make it appear as if I have wide womanly hips compared to my shoulders. Perhaps I should tighten up, i.e. make the skirt area/quarters more fitted (without increasing the waist suppression, if that's possible)? My second tailor in his suit is moving the pockets up, and the waist supression point higher as well to effectuate that, maybe that's all it needs to de-womanize the waist.

Consider a slightly extended shoulder--it minimizes the hips. The buttoning point already looks about as high as it should go.

9. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member

Try to slightly lift your shoulders when taking photos.

And shorten the shirt sleeves..

10. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

Consider a slightly extended shoulder--it minimizes the hips. The buttoning point already looks about as high as it should go.

Actually my tailor will be lowering the button point, but raising the point of the waist suppression. The two don't have to be in the same place I believe.

I know extending the shoulders would help with the proportions, but I don't like the look of overly-built shoulders, and the effects it has on mobility.

11. amplifiedheat

I know extending the shoulders would help with the proportions, but I don't like the look of overly-built shoulders, and the effects it has on mobility.

For some reason, there's a current of thought here that the only options for a suit are 1)totally natural and unpadded, and 2)overly-built. There is, in fact, a happy medium. Mobility shouldn't be a serious concern--to the contrary, the 30s, age of supreme mobility in tailored clothing, was also the age of extended shoulders. Besides, if you want a hard military cut, you may as well accept a strong shoulder.

12. Mr. Tweed

Mr. Tweed Well-Known Member

+1: Unpadded shoulders will never give a military cut look.

Also, the pocket placement look a bit off to me. If you choose to go with hacking pockets and a ticket pocket (a nice touch I think) they must be placed a little further out. The size of the flaps and the angle looks fine, but for placement, show your tailor the Huntsman pictures...

Yours,
    Mr. Tweed

13. cgardel

cgardel Senior member

14. cgardel

cgardel Senior member

[​IMG] Are those the shoes you wore to the tailor? I recall you asking about height-increasing shoes sometime back and I think I see that sort of shoe in these photos (heel seems tall, etc.). Please correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, perhaps this is the cause of the length problem with the trousers?

15. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Svenn, I think you might be going overboard in slimness, this suit looks good with a few exceptions. The back seems too tight around the waist, I think it needs to be let to alleviate the breaking that's happening. The changes that manton and foo mentioned should also be made and the pants need to be shortened. For trial number one I think he did right by you, a couple points: Ditch the hacking pockets, that's whats making you feel like you have a 'womans hips' issue. For a man trying to acheive a military look you have no business wearing a windsor knot [​IMG]