• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique needed for fitted-cut suit in 21 oz twill

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would appreciate any specific alterations instructions to get my attempt at a fitted, military/hard cut suit below to match the model pictures below that inspired it. Sorry for the poor quality of the pics, but there are marked depressions/pull marks across the small of the back, and some across the chest (which are hard to see). I was told the trousers need to be let out at the bottom more (flare) so they break cleaner?

Anyway, couldn't the whole jacket be brought in closer to my body everywhere? Could an alterations tailor do that?

btw the 20/21 oz weight is not as hot as I thought at all, though it didn't mask divots/tug marks as much as I thought it would.

Yaos-1.jpg

armholes pics, got them as high as the tailor would go...and there's no shoulder padding either:

yaos2-1.jpg

delete.jpg

RundschauJul1978_008.jpg

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Svenn I love the fabrics.
The front is good enough but honestly speaking the back is far from OK.

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Looks good from the front.

To me, the tie is to wide and the knot is to large for your face. My eyes are drawn directly to the tie instead of flowing up to your face.

literasyme

Reaction score
Re. the pants -- this sounds like nonsense to me. They're too long (fabric is stacking up). You could ask them to angle the bottom seam if you'd like them a bit longer in the back, but I don't understand why they should have to be boot cut.

The coat looks plenty tight already; not sure why you'd want it to be even more close-fitting. You still need to be able to move, esp. your arms. Suiting isn't like a knit jumper, after all: far less give and stretch in the material, so it needs to be cut a little less skin-tight. Your coat certainly appears too snug in the waist, though not in the seat area. One of the tailors on the forum should be able to diagnose this properly -- I'm a little flummoxed by the crease patterns on either side of your lower back. Could it be that there's a mismatch between the way the jacket curves and how your back is shaped?

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by literasyme
Could it be that there's a mismatch between the way the jacket curves and how your back is shaped?
I hope it can be fixed by leaning forward a bit.

GucciKid

Reaction score
Front looks pretty good. I don't think you'd want to take it in anymore. The back balance looks off. On your next commission I would also consider going shorter on the jacket length, this length is too long for you in my opinion.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by literasyme
Your coat certainly appears too snug in the waist, though not in the seat area.

I thought too the skirt area looks a little large somehow, implying i have womanly hips which I don't. However at the same time the jacket seems to lack the flared skirt I admire in Savile Row suits.
confused.gif

There is definitely a mismatch between the curve of the back on the jacket and my natural curve... I also think perhaps the waist suppression should be a tad higher up on my torso... my intention was to have a low button stance yet a high waist suppression, since I wanted a fitted look yet still be able to get a waistcoat to peak out above the low stance.

What do you guys think of 'opening up the quarters' more? (increasing the spread below the button).

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The frontl ooks nice but the back is off. Is that your normal stance? The pants are long and could be shortened. 21oz!?

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
I thought too the skirt area looks a little large somehow, implying i have womanly hips which I don't. However at the same time the jacket seems to lack the flared skirt I admire in Savile Row suits.
confused.gif

There is definitely a mismatch between the curve of the back on the jacket and my natural curve... I also think perhaps the waist suppression should be a tad higher up on my torso... my intention was to have a low button stance yet a high waist suppression, since I wanted a fitted look yet still be able to get a waistcoat to peak out above the low stance.

What do you guys think of 'opening up the quarters' more? (increasing the spread below the button).

The quarter openning is fine. If the back can not be improved by leaning forward a bit, it would not be acceptable to me. I would ask the tailor to fix it immediately and effectively.

Are the shoulders not padded at all? Maybe I should try this next time?

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket looks great, but the pants are a bit baggy. I would have them pegged in slightly on the siedes and perhaps shortened a bit as well.

ColeFieldHouse

Reaction score
You should have padded your right shoulder to even it out with your left.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sorry, but this looks really bad to me. I can't remember the last time a suit posted on the forum had a worse front-back balance problem. It's already way too tight, so please don't try to make it any leaner. Also, the collar is too low and loose on your neck. That said, the sleeves look pretty nicely done.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
svennfoofed.jpg
In addition to what I pointed out earlier, I think there's also something wrong with the way the quarters are cut. It looks as if the tailor simply "opened" them after already cutting them to be more closed. Notice the large overlap and how the cutaway begins very abruptly below the buttoning point. Also, I think a lower buttoning point would be more flattering. I'm no tailor, but I feel comfortable saying that yours is off-his-rocker if he thinks you need more length on your trousers.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Simple balance problem, short front, long back.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Simple balance problem, short front, long back.

You like it, the mucked-up open quarters?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads