Critique my workout

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by manofstyle, Dec 28, 2009.

1. manofstyle

manofstyle Senior member

Attempt at creating a good 3-day compound routine. I can't do dips because I need a 2nd olympic bar for my power rack, so CGBP is substituted.

Monday - LEGS, BACK, ABS
    Front squat
    Calf raise
    Deadlift
    Weighted crunches

Wednesday - CHEST, SHOULDERS
    Military press
    Incline or Flat bench press
    Close grip bench press

Friday - BACK, ARMS
    Front squat
    Pull up or Chin up
    Barbell row
    Barbell or Dumbbell curl

2. manofstyle

manofstyle Senior member

Also, up to now I've been doing 3x5 on all exercises save for deadlifts (1x5). Switch to 2x6 on some or I dunno? Some folk swear by doing less sets, is 3 excessive?

3. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

I like the routine. Good basic compound movements and you squat twice a week. I might move the DL to Wednesday as that way you'll have an ass kicking exercise in each workout (no, I don't count the BP as ass kicking; great exercise, but it doesn't make you walk funny afterwards). I'm a big fan of power cleans and might insert them into Monday, assuming you move the DL. These are just my opinions, but you've outlined a nice routine as written.

4. manofstyle

manofstyle Senior member

I might move the crunches to Wednesday, that way the bench can be kicked outside of the rack from Friday to Monday.

5. ZackyBoy

ZackyBoy Senior member

Wow I was expecting an epic fail but it's pretty win... keep in mind deadlifting and squatting in the same day can be tough. It's got the compounds in decent spots and it's set up well; the rest doesn't matter. Personally I would drop the front squat on Friday and put the deadlift there. My input:

Front squat/back squat
    Calf raise
    Weighted crunches

Overhead Press
    Flat bench press
    Close grip bench press

Friday
    Deadlift
    Pull up
    Barbell row
    curls

Try 5/3/1 for your rep/set scheme on your main lifts (deadlift, bench, squat, overhead press)... you may like it.

Week 1. Warmup, 75%x5, 80%x5, 85%x5
    Week 2. Warmup, 80%x3, 85%x3, 90%x3
    Week 3. Warmup, 75%x5, 85%x3, 95%x1
    Week 4. (deload) - 60%x5, 65%x5, 70%x5

6. Glados1984

Glados1984 Senior member

Less barbell more cowbell

needs more cowbell

7. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

Attempt at creating a good 3-day compound routine. I can't do dips because I need a 2nd olympic bar for my power rack, so CGBP is substituted. Monday - LEGS, BACK, ABS Front squat Calf raise Deadlift Weighted crunches Wednesday - CHEST, SHOULDERS Military press Incline or Flat bench press Close grip bench press Friday - BACK, ARMS Front squat Pull up or Chin up Barbell row Barbell or Dumbbell curl
    I honestly don't mean to sound snarky, but I do most of these in a single workout 2-3 times a week. Then again, I'm more about toning then building, and I want to hit everything at the gym because I'm not always on a regular schedule. Is there something wrong with doing things that way? Should I split it up?

8. ZackyBoy

ZackyBoy Senior member

I honestly don't mean to sound snarky, but I do most of these in a single workout 2-3 times a week. Then again, I'm more about toning then building, and I want to hit everything at the gym because I'm not always on a regular schedule. Is there something wrong with doing things that way? Should I split it up?
    ...fuck.

9. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

where to kop toning routine? lololololololol

10. Deluks917

Deluks917 Senior member

Looks good as is. Kunk didn't make fun of you, this is a good sign. I do something similar.

11. NVtoNY

NVtoNY Member

Any reasons you hit back and legs twice? Are they lagging?

12. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Some pointers I would give you:

-Don't do your Bench and Military Press on the same day. You're just nailing that shoulder girdle, and whatever press you decide to do last that day will be fatigued, so split them up.

-Same principle with the Rows and Pullups, whichever comes second in the workout will suffer.

-Do standing overhead presses rather than seated so you get the added benefit of the lift strengthening your mid-section.

-Calf raises, aside from being a pretty worthless exercise, are a bit redundant if you're front-squatting.

-Why not do a back squat one day instead of 2 days of front squatting?

-I like to do Deadlifts friday, so I have the weekend to recover. But I can see the argument for wanting to do them Monday when you're a little fresher...

13. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

Some pointers I would give you:

-Don't do your Bench and Military Press on the same day. You're just nailing that shoulder girdle, and whatever press you decide to do last that day will be fatigued, so split them up.

+1

I guess this is one of those situations where YMMV though. I split shoulders and chest up and mix them in with other muscle groups so that one is done on Monday, and the other Friday.

This applies to barbell rows, but I've found that it can be fixed by doing neutral grip dumbbell rows.

Also, you may find that you don't need more than a couple of days to recover from chins/pull ups.

As far as sets go, I'd go for all three with the dead lift. At the end of my first set I always feel fairly dead, but somehow manage to do two more sets. Since you've got a whole week to recover, you might as well get everything that you can out of them.

14. manofstyle

manofstyle Senior member

Seated military press swapped for standing press & split apart from bench press, rows and pull ups separated. Monday is the 'bastard' hard day. If I had an EZ bar I could sub CGBP for skullcrushers. CGBP seems more likely to lay on tricep mass than skulls though, who knows. Skullcrushers have a cool name but I suspect they're a gay exercise for a noob. I had switched to front squats because I prefer the more upright stance, but I'm finding front squats tough on the wrists and tendons in my hand so I'll likely return to back squats. Monday Squat Calf raise Standing press Deadlift Wednesday Incline press Flat bench press Close grip bench press Weighted crunches Pull up/Chin ups Friday Squat Barbell row Barbell or Dumbbell curl

15. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member