• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique My Workout/Diet Part Two

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Haha, this should be fun.

Snuggles, what sort of diet do you recommend?

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read that being born leads to a 100% probability of death. Is this true? Can I avoid this if I eat a steady diet of corn husks and watercress and confine my physical activity to scratching?

Back to reality now...

Snuggles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philosoph
I read that being born leads to a 100% probability of death. Is this true? Can I avoid this if I eat a steady diet of corn husks and watercress and confine my physical activity to scratching?

Back to reality now...

It is true; quality and quantity don't matter at all in life, since we're all going to die anyway. Let's go ahead and delete this entire sub-forum.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mike Lowry
Ok see what you think and what adjustments you would recommend.

If you don't know I am currently 5-8 170-175 depends during the week and probably around 20% body fat. I'd like to keep keep my weight in that neighborhood although it's not bad if I get to 160 as I have been in good shape at both 160 and 175. The kicker is shedding the body fat to around 11%

My level of fitness is definitely at beginner status. I have not worked out regularly for more than three months since 2003.

Days 1-3-5

Barbell Bench Press (15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 10)
Squat (15, 12, 10, 10)
Pull ups (Failure
Curl & Press (12, 10, 10, 12)
Deadlift (12, 10, 10, 12)
Lat pulldown to the back (15, 12, 10, 10)
Dips (failure)

Days 2-4
-45 minutes cardio (running, jumping jacks, pushups, jump rope)
-Abs, Lower back

Day 6
-45 minutes on treadmill/eliptical
-Abs, Lower back

DIET:

Monday
07:30: 1.5 cups Special K, 2% milk, 1 cup coffee
09:00: Banana
11:00: Turkey Sandwhich on Wheat
13:00: Isopure Zero Carb Protein Shake (50gms)
15:00: Apple
17:00: Grilled Fillet (5 oz), 1 cup green beans
19:00: 100 calorie sugar free jello pudding

Tuesday
11:00: Grilled Chicken Salad
17:00: Turkey Burger w/ low fat cheese, steamed mixed veggies

Wednesday
11:00 Subway 6 inch Turkey Breast (no cheese, no dressing, on wheat)
17:00 Grilled Chicken (touch of A1), steamed vegetables, 1 small sweet potato

Thursday
11:00 Grilled Chicken Salad
17:00 Wheat Fajita

Friday
11:00: Grilled 5 oz steak, steamed veggies
17:00: 1.5 cups turkey chilli, wheat crackers

Saturday & Sunday more of the same

The plan is to use 30 second rest periods inbetween sets to help amp up the cardio work. Good idea? Bad idea? Doesn't matter?

I would like to cut fat and increase strength.
My only concern is the first two weeks getting used to getting ****** kicked which I am sure will ease.

Any suggestions, critiques are welcome.

Thanks,

Mikep;

Dude,

1. I see you are following my dietary advice. Keep it up.
You need to give it time to see the results.
Try having small meals 3 hours interval on a daily basis.
Meals can be a healthy snack or protein shake.

2. Your workout may be too tough. You can divide into 2 separate workouts.
i. Chest, back, biceps.
ii. Legs, shoulders, triceps.

3. Rest intervals of 30 sec is fine. A bit fast but fine. It will aid in fat burning.
According to a study quoted in Flex magazine (the bible for all serious bodybuilders). A 3 minute rest allows you to recover 90% or more of your strength but you need not abide by that given your weights used are not heavy.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You probably can cut back on the sets. Also, it's likely better to do cardio after weights.

In terms of diet, add eggs, oatmeal, and honey. Subtract burgers.

Mike Lowry

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the help guys. I am still surprised to see that this diet is not enough food. I actually had this down for about a month and a half and was doing well before the holidays hit. My problem was that I never wanted to workout when I was eating healthy. If I would have maintained a steady program while eating well I would have saw great results. The good news is that this time last year I was pushing 200lbs and busting out of my 34 pants and today I am out of shape in 33's weighing 174lbs.

*Odd thing, I have been in excellent shape at my current weight and now that I have stopped working out my weight hasn't changed but my appearance is much worse.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not really that odd. You've kept the same mass but the lean mass/fat distribution has changed.

Another piece of advice: don't worry about the scale. The mirror is a much better guide. For example, if your current amount of fat stays constant but you increase your muscle mass, you will weigh more, but because there is a greater proportion of muscle to fat, you will actually be leaner. Or, again, if your fat level stays constant and you lose muscle, then you're losing weight, but you'll be less lean than you were, which is not good. If you want to track a number, then use your bodyfat %. Scale weight is more or less irrelevant.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beasty
According to a study quoted in Flex magazine (the bible for all serious bodybuilders).

Do you mean it's like the Bible and filled with useless and antiquated information?

peepwall[1].gif

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Do you mean it's like the Bible and filled with useless and antiquated information?

peepwall[1].gif

I am aghast at your flippant remarks at a thousand year old document that billions have and will continue to base their lives on. Like the Bible, Flex has many wisdoms and precious insights to make oneself a better bodybuilder/human being.

efujobu

Reaction score
hey man. Im new to the forum. Just want to give my 2 cents. If you're a beginner, make sure you have your form perfected especially with compound movements such as squats, deadlifts, presses, and rows. I'm at 175 at 10% bf myself...if youre at 20% bf at that ht/wt, then maybe you want to focus more on gaining lean muscle tissue by lifting weights, and doing them in a superset fashion so you can get the cardio effect also. Then you should focus you're cardio on non lifting days performing interval training.

This works wonders. As far as your diet, I'm not exactly sure how many kcals this is, but to gain lean muscle, you must intake lean protein at about 1-1.2 grams per lb of body weight, the rest of your diet should consist on high fiber whole foods and good fats. You can probably find a website so you can find out your daily caloric needs. Im guessing its about 1800-2000 cals.

Good luck man.

Mike Lowry

Reaction score
Ok here is a revision of my workout.

Days 1-3
Barbell Press 4x12
Pullups Failure
Barbell Curls 4x12
Flyes 4x12
Lat pulldown to the back 4x12
Cable Crossover 4x12

Days 2-4
Squat 4x12
DB Rows 4x12
Ropes Triceps 4x12
Deadlift 4x12
Military Press 4x12
Triceps Kickbacks (Failure)
Ab superset w/ superman's for the lower back

Days 3-6-
-30 to 45 minutes steady cardio

Day 7
-15 minutes of interval sprints

Questions? Comments? Hate mail?

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is better, but I still think you're wasting your time with Flyes, Lat Pulldowns, Cable Croses, Rope Tricep Pushdowns, and triceps kickbacks. You don't need any more low back work when you have Rows, Squats, and Deadlifts on the same day. When you say Barbell Press, are you thinking of Bench Press? And I don't think 4x12 Deadlifts is a good idea. Stop trying to incorporate our critiques into your workout. You need to look up a proven program and perform it as written. There are many great programs out there that work well for beginners. Rippetoe's Starting Strength and Bill Star's 5x5 are two good ones. You might also check out the book New Rules for Lifting by Cosgrove and Schuler. It's a good read for beginners, and has prewritten workouts. The other two programs I mentioned can be found for free on the Internet.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Anybody have a place they can host an 11mb PDF? I have a presentation on building strength and muscle he could really benefit from.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads